Jump to content

63 Avanti radiator fan toooo loud


dazavant
 Share

Recommended Posts

I want to revisit this subject since it's been awhile since I've looked into this.  The radiator fan noise on my 63 Avanti is very aggravating, when the temp approaches 180 the clutch starts kicking in and sounds like a dive bomber.  It's not the clutch.  Anyone know of an alternate fan choice that is quieter.  In the past I've read of many other complaints about the same thing and thought somebody may have come up with a solution.  Thanks, Larry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For true, it's akin to being strafed by a Stuka.

I've converted a couple to the big two-speed electric fan from the Dodge Viper.

Also did one using the flexible blade stainless steel fan driven full-time without the clutch.

jack vines

Edited by PackardV8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am assuming that you do not have a stock clutch if it cuts in by temperature. If the fan is excessively noisy, it may be a loose or bent blade. I would replace the fan with a new one or at least one that is known to be good.

EDIT: Also the entire fan may not be running true. 

Edited by studegary
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mfg said:

Slightly off topic......I've been told by two different vendors that the H.D. six blade replacement fan they sell (for Stude Avantis) is VERY noisy!:o

I have used the heavy duty fan on Studebaker V8s.  It is noisier, but does the job (moves more air when the car isn't moving).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2020 at 9:56 AM, PackardV8 said:

For true, it's akin to being strafed by a Stuka.

I've converted a couple to the big two-speed electric fan from the Dodge Viper.

Also did one using the flexible blade stainless steel fan driven full-time without the clutch.

jack vines

Thanks for info Jack.  I tried fitting a flexible blade stainless steel fan only to find the curve in the blade was so severe it hit the front hub (17", 7 blade, Flex A Lite).  I suppose I could try a 16" (I worry about a 16" cooling properly) or cut a notch in the 17" blades.  Which brand and size blade did you use and was it quieter and did it cool ok.. My stock setup cools fine it's just NOISY.  I'm trying to stay away from an electric setup, the old prestolite wouldn't cut it, particularly with the A/C on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am thinking that perhaps your Avanti received Studebaker Service Letter #R-1964-4 (for Avanti's with A/C to improve idle cooling).  This included a different fan (water pump) pulley to make the fan go faster.  You could change back to an original size pulley to reduce the noise and see if your cooling is still adequate.     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JLBKY said:

Gary, do you have the Service Letter you referred to? Could you post it here?

Thanks

John

Yes and No.  It would not tell you if your pulley was changed.  You need to measure your pulley and compare that measurement with one that is known to be standard (probably from an unaltered non-A/C car (the Service Letter only applied to A/C Avantis).  The Service Letter is three pages long.  The pulley (and belt) is just one part of the change for A/C Avantis to improve idle cooling.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the heads up on the pulley.  I do have the 2 row aluminum.  I will pay more attention to the noise vs rpm.  But since the noise seems to be there at most rpms once it kicks in I'm not sure that's the answer as the noise, albeit lower, remains at lower speeds.  Before it kicks in there is virtually no discernible fan noise.  Since lower rpms would accomplish the same thing as the standard pulley (lower the fan speed) I think it would be a marginal gain at best.  I think for now I would like to pursue the flex fan route but as I mentioned the 17" Flex A Lite hits the lower hub so I could notch it or go with a 16" flex fan but I worry about cooling with the smaller fan.  Therein lies the reason I would like to hear from a Studebaker Avanti owner who may have experienced success with a different fan.  As Studebaker Avanti owners know there is only about 1" of room between the lower pulley and the radiator.  There may be flex fan the doesn't have as drastic a curve as the Flex A Lite but a guy could go broke buying fans until one, if ever, works.

Anyway, thank's to all for your input, hopefully someone will have the answer on a quieter fan that will fit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone on the Forum know the diameter of the smaller pulley that is referenced in the Service Letter R-1964-4?  I looked up the Service Letter and the part number for the pulley is  1563110 

Thanks

John

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JLBKY said:

Does anyone on the Forum know the diameter of the smaller pulley that is referenced in the Service Letter R-1964-4?  I looked up the Service Letter and the part number for the pulley is  1563110 

Thanks

John

 

5.25 inches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the above information is interesting but I would still like to know specifics of anyone using a quieter fan blade on a 63-64 Studebaker Avanti.  We have all owned old cars with clutch fans that were pretty quiet, sure would be nice to know of one of those fans that would fit.  I just thought someone may have tried another fan that filled the bill.  As a last resort I will go with an electric fan but hate to have to upgrade the alternator plus as a puller there are fitment issues here as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, dazavant said:

All the above information is interesting but I would still like to know specifics of anyone using a quieter fan blade on a 63-64 Studebaker Avanti.  We have all owned old cars with clutch fans that were pretty quiet, sure would be nice to know of one of those fans that would fit.  I just thought someone may have tried another fan that filled the bill.  As a last resort I will go with an electric fan but hate to have to upgrade the alternator plus as a puller there are fitment issues here as well.

You probably would hardly hear that same fan if it were installed on a Hawk or Lark (metal body cars).....The Avanti's fiberglass firewall really resonates the engine fan's "ROAR"..... Its always been like that!:(

PS....Some folks like the noise!:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mfg said:

You probably would hardly hear that same fan if it were installed on a Hawk or Lark (metal body cars).....The Avanti's fiberglass firewall really resonates the engine fan's "ROAR"..... Its always been like that!:(

PS....Some folks like the noise!:D

Interesting thought but I have two Corvettes with clutch fans and do not experience that same roar I get in the Avanti, not even close.  Perhaps a little measuring is in order, they don't eyeball as a fit, look larger.  As I mentioned the kicker with the Avanti is the close fit between the front hub and the radiator.  I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age and looking for an answer that will save me a lot of work.  I've already tried a few different fan combinations that looked good but didn't work, the swapping around is getting old.  There have been several reports that the HD six blade fan being sold by the vendors is very loud so I'm not going that route.  I noticed the fan blade and clutch Bez Alchemy has on his Facebook restoration project 63 Avanti doesn't look stock to me.  I'm going to try to get some information on that setup, we'll see.  Thanks for input.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree the 6 blade fan is loud. I changed back to original 5 blade and still had loud. Finally, after changing both the clutch and different 5 blade fan, the noise is substantially abated.

 

Can you spin the fan with the motor off? The fan should rotate a couple of turns before stopping. If not, usually bad clutch (locked up). Did you try a known good clutch and fan blade? The one that came with my 64 looked OK. However it was not until I put on another that the noise went away.

 

I believe there was a 7 blade fan available. I have one, but have not tried it yet as my fan noise problem is solved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My original fan clutch checked out fine but I replaced it with a new one anyway and the noise was the same in both instances.  I haven't tried another fan blade yet, haven't found one that will fit.  The stock one has no cracks and checks out straight and true when I checked it on a metal lathe with a homemade adapter.  I think the fan design is flawed from a noise standpoint, particularly with the other reports of fan noise with the stock five blade fan.  This brings me back to my original question - has anyone found another fan choice that is quieter.  I'm not at all familiar with a 7 blade fan that will fit, do you have any particulars you can share on this fan. 

28 minutes ago, 64studeavanti said:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

Just thinking out loud, but is it possible to assemble the fan blade backwards? I am about 1,000 miles from my cars and cannot check. 

Interesting thought!.....so I checked a spare '63 Avanti stock fan/clutch assy. in my parts stash..........It looks to me like the lower section of the five blades are 'curved' to clear the fan's clutch, and it would be impossible to mount the fan backwards........(and, believe me, I would be capable of doing something like that!!:D)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

I agree the 6 blade fan is loud. I changed back to original 5 blade and still had loud. Finally, after changing both the clutch and different 5 blade fan, the noise is substantially abated.

 

Can you spin the fan with the motor off? The fan should rotate a couple of turns before stopping. If not, usually bad clutch (locked up). Did you try a known good clutch and fan blade? The one that came with my 64 looked OK. However it was not until I put on another that the noise went away.

 

I believe there was a 7 blade fan available. I have one, but have not tried it yet as my fan noise problem is solved.

Are you interested in selling the 7 blade #1560547, assuming it's for a 63-64 Avanti.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...