brake booster

drat

I don't believe there is a direct fit replacement booster for the Mastervac. You can get rebuilt replacements from Nostalgic Motors, Myer's Studebaker or Studebaker International. The master cylinder from a '76 full-size Mopar w/disc brakes will fit.

What I did was do a complete replacement with modern aftermarket parts. Here's a link to what was done...http://www.studebake...blum210911.html

Thanks so much! You always have the answers! I am thankful youve done all this work ahead of me! .I have the turner conversion so this should work well. I replaced the master cyclinder already as it was leaking woth a Chrysler one, bit turns out it leaked into the booster and after replacing the master the pedal still went to the floor. I did a vacuum check and it seems to check out but clearly the booster needa replacement as there is no pedal. I did a bench bleed and everything properly.

So the only modification with this set up is cutting slots in the booster braket?

I didn't install it myself...it was a speed shop that was doing some other mods at the time for me and I told them to go ahead as I knew the booster had gone bad...and it didn't have many miles on it. It was a rebuilt unit from a large vendor but any warranty had run out by the time it happened.

I can only tell you what the shop owner told me as far as what was required.

I dont suppose you could post a photo of the mounting braket where it butts up against the booster? I am gonna be doin this myself. So far I have done everything to the car myself, bringing it back from its previous glory, as it was left to me by my step dad after my mom passed. Its a sentimental journey for sure.

Thanks! i looked up that booster you posted on amazon. if it does work its only 74 bucks, although most places had it for 125 with free shipping.

i would be interested specifically in if they had to put spacers on the booster where it mounts on the bracket, how the bracket was modified as far as slotting, and if the brake arms ID fit up as is or had to be shimmed/ to work with the original pedal linkage.

Edited by drat

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the allstar booster and wilwood master set up mocked up and fittted in the car.

It took more fabing than originally thought but I got it in there.

The push rod on the booster is quite long and needed to be cut and a eyelet or hyme fastened to connect it to the pedal linkage. There was very little thread left so if you try this I would recomend erroring on the side of caution cuttting it long and trim it if need be. Also use the stock spacers to get a some room. I ended up using them and an additional washer.

On the master Cylinder side of the booster the adjustable push rod at its furthest adjusted length still has a gap to the piston in the master. I am going to have to replace that. Worst case is I use a bolt and round the head down with my dremel.

Finally the master also had to be sloted. I took the majority of material off with an angle grinder as the width of the needed cut is almost the same size as the grinders disk, and then once again got out the dremel. I have a varible speed one that works quite well for this.

Also I had to slot the mounting braket for the booster by drilling then cleaning it up with a dremel.

Ill be finishing up today and bleed the system. Ill let you know how the car stops a little later.

-drat

• 1 year later...

RQB3263...I need a part number and manufacturer. for the master cylinder on my 1981 Avanti II..or the make model year car it was barowed from.....thanks ..FL. 352-475-3190....Bill

Edited by wildfelr

I purchased a new factory brake booster for my '83 Avanti from Dave Thibeault a few years ago....at the time, he had quite a few of them.....Tel#..978-897-3158....Tell him Ed sent you!!

Bill (Wildfeir)...

I think this is a replacement, but you should probably verify the brake line fitting thread sizes before purchase...

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Brake-Master-Cylinder-New/_/R-NMAM1930_0358751148

(Napa NMC M1930)