Whereabouts of 63R-1645, 63R-2170, and 63R-3018?

r1lark

First time posting here at AOAI, but long time Studebaker enthusiast and owner. Interest in Studebakers and Packards started early in life, since my family (Grandfather, Father, and Uncle) had Packard and Studebaker dealerships from the late ‘40s thru the mid-60s.

Have recently started going through what paperwork and documentation is left from the dealerships. Some really informative items are the car purchase & sale logs for all the cars (new and used) that passed thru the dealerships. Each car is logged as to who it was purchased from, date purchased, vehicle serial number, engine number (curiously except for 1964), body style, date sold, and who the car sold to.

I have started looking through the log books, and have begun compiling a spreadsheet of the new ’57 thru ’65 Studebakers and Packards. Right now the list is confined to Hawks, ‘57/’58 Packards, and Avanti.

The dealership only handled four (4) new Avantis. By serial number, they are as follows:

• 63R-1645, engine R1363, color gold
  • 63R-2170, engine RS1522, color black
  • 63R-3018, engine R2184, color white with orange interior
  • R-5051

I know that R-5051 was bought new by Bob Caser and he still owns it. The Registry at www.theavanti.net lists 63R-1645 as being owned by Michael Gay, but they do not have any contact information for him. I have found no mention of 63R-2170 or 63R-3018 in any registry or in any internet search.

If anyone currently owns these three Avanti's, or knows the whereabouts of any one of them, a reply to this post or a Personal Message (PM) through this forum would be mucn appreciated! No ulterior motive here, except interest in family history – wanting to know if any cars sold by the family’s dealerships have survived and who currently owns them. Thanks in advance for any help and/or information.

RQB 3263....I recently saw what looked like a derelict Avanti (white) at Hawkins Speedshop, Richmond, Indiana....I was told it is a customers car with a new 383 stroker motor....beyond that I would put it in the rough category..(maybe very rough) .I have no year or numbers to share with you....BILL RQB3263

Thanks Bill. If you happen to get back there are can get the serial number, that would be great. You never know where a car may migrate to after 50 years! ;)

• 5 months later...