Round Avanti!

mfg

2 hours ago, mfg said:

......?...... 1964 model Studebaker Avantis were built with round headlamps.

1) 29.......2) 38.......3) 54.....or......4) 66

1 hour ago, mfg said:

Fifty-four is CORRECT!:)

That is incorrect.

R-4835 is considered the first 1964 Avanti and R-4892 is the first square headlight 1964 Avanti, that makes 57 1964 round headlight Avantis.

Add to that all the round headlight cars built after R-4892 until R-5005 which may be the last round headlight Avanti.

There could be over 100 1964 Avantis with round headlights.

56 minutes ago, Regnalbob said:

That is incorrect.

R-4835 is considered the first 1964 Avanti and R-4892 is the first square headlight 1964 Avanti, that makes 57 1964 round headlight Avantis.

Add to that all the round headlight cars built after R-4892 until R-5005 which may be the last round headlight Avanti.

There could be over 100 1964 Avantis with round headlights.

I really hate to be the one to tell you this, however, you're wrong once again Regnalbob!:(......Actual 1964 Studebaker Avanti production totaled 818....764 built with square headlight bezels.......and 54 built with 'round lights' .....The total DOES NOT include Avanti 'transitional' models.

If you feel these figures are inaccurate, you should probably consult with Bob Johnstone....Ed:)

I hope that by now you realize that all of the information on Johnstone's web site is not correct.  He has gathered information from various sources, some of which has been disproven/corrected since then.  

1 hour ago, studegary said:

I hope that by now you realize that all of the information on Johnstone's web site is not correct.  He has gathered information from various sources, some of which has been disproven/corrected since then.  

OK studegary........I'll let Bob know how you feel about his info.

15 hours ago, mfg said:
  • I really hate to be the one to tell you this, however, you're wrong once again Regnalbob!:(......Actual 1964 Studebaker Avanti production totaled 818....764 built with square headlight bezels.......and 54 built with 'round lights' .....The total DOES NOT include Avanti 'transitional' models.

If you feel these figures are inaccurate, you should probably consult with Bob Johnstone....Ed:)

Actual 1964 production is 809 and not 818.  R-4835 to R-5643  totals 809. R-4835 is considered to be the first 1964 Avanti.

R-4835 to R-4891------ 57 Avantis with round headlights.

All Avantis  built after R-4892 did not have square bezels. R-4893 has round lights as does R-5005 which is believed to be the last 1964 with round lights.

28  of these are shown on Bob Johnstone's website. 

12 hours ago, mfg said:

13 hours ago, mfg said:

I believe that much of his information is good and helpful and I appreciate the work that he has done on his web site, however there are errors.

Well, believe what you want to believe guys!.....I'll stick with Bob Johnstones production figures....... they concur with an excellent chart published in AVANTI MAGAZINE issue # 146.

ANSWER TO THIS TRIVIA QUESTION.......54!:)

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:04 PM, Regnalbob said:

Actual 1964 production is 809 and not 818.  R-4835 to R-5643  totals 809. R-4835 is considered to be the first 1964 Avanti.

R-4835 to R-4891------ 57 Avantis with round headlights.

All Avantis  built after R-4892 did not have square bezels. R-4893 has round lights as does R-5005 which is believed to be the last 1964 with round lights.

28  of these are shown on Bob Johnstone's website. 

20 hours ago, mfg said:

Well, believe what you want to believe guys!.....I'll stick with Bob Johnstones production figures....... they concur with an excellent chart published in AVANTI MAGAZINE issue # 146.

ANSWER TO THIS TRIVIA QUESTION.......54!:)

That chart was printed in the early Seventies by an AOAI member and has several errors about the 1964 Avanti, including wrong starting and ending serial numbers and total production number.

This article by Fred Fox goes into more detail.

As stated before there were more than 54 1964 round headlight Avantis.

693154868_SquareHeadlightEnclosure.thumb.jpeg.88e2952749584118072f265b2ce875b2.jpeg

Regnalbob....Thank you for posting that 'in depth' Fred Fox summary....It's hard to dispute Fred!!.... It seems to me though, if one takes the time to read the text, he's estimating!:o.........That aside, personally speaking, what really solidifies a true 'square light' Studebaker Avanti isn't the square headlamp enclosures,... but the second cowl intake opening (screen) ahead of the driver.

Conversely, I doubt VERY MUCH if Studebaker ever built a 'round light' Avanti with that second cowl mounted air intake!:)

Edited by mfg

I also want to thank Bob Langer and Gary Lindstrom for bringing forward new, but unfortunately still inconclusive, information!....The answer to how many 1964 model Studebaker Avantis were built with round headlamps, at least until more definite information is uncovered, is still.....................Fifty four (54)!

Hope everyone had a GREAT Thanksgiving!:)

Edited by mfg

55 minutes ago, mfg said:

I also want to thank Bob Langer and Gary Lindstrom for bringing forward new, but unfortunately still inconclusive, information!....The answer to how many 1964 model Studebaker Avantis were built with round headlamps, at least until more definite information is uncovered, is still.....................Fifty four (54)!

Hope everyone had a GREAT Thanksgiving!:)

The data above shows a minimum of 57, not counting the later interdispersed models.

5 hours ago, studegary said:

The data above shows a minimum of 57, not counting the later interdispersed models.

Joe Friday used to say...."Just the FACTS ma'am"..........Consider me your 'Joe Friday' guys!:o

(Gary, is" INTERDISPERSED" actually a word?:wacko:)

Edited by mfg

7 hours ago, mfg said:

Joe Friday used to say...."Just the FACTS ma'am"..........Consider me your 'Joe Friday' guys!:o

(Gary, is" INTERDISPERSED" actually a word?:wacko:)

Yes, it is a word.  I checked a couple of online sources to make sure.  It is dispersed with a prefix of inter.

Two different sources: 1) interdispersed: "dispersed among others" and 2) interdispersed: "to mix two things irregularly, placing things of one kind among things of other" [a quote - not the way I would say it]  

It is similar to intersperse.

Edited by studegary

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, mfg said:

I really hate to be the one to tell you this, however, you're wrong once again Regnalbob!:(......Actual 1964 Studebaker Avanti production totaled 818....764 built with square headlight bezels.......and 54 built with 'round lights' .....The total DOES NOT include Avanti 'transitional' models.

15 hours ago, mfg said:

8 hours ago, mfg said:

Is this a joke or do you really believe the answer is 54?

Just the facts.

Fact -  Total 1964 production is 809 and not 818.

Fact -   There are pictures of 64 1964 round light Avantis listed on Bob Johnstone's website.

Fact -  Do the math, numbers do not lie.

4 hours ago, studegary said:

Yes, it is a word.  I checked a couple of online sources to make sure.  It is dispersed with a prefix of inter.

Two different sources: 1) interdispersed: "dispersed among others" and 2) interdispersed: "to mix two things irregularly, placing things of one kind among things of other" [a quote - not the way I would say it]  

It is similar to intersperse.

OK....however, my 'spell check' tells me that you spelled it incorrectly:o....You need to watch that Gary!:)

3 hours ago, Regnalbob said:

Well, if you feel it's a joke than maybe it is! ........ I do try to keep things on the 'light side'!

This AVANTI TRIVIA column is supposed to be fun entertainment.......not this silly confrontation that you and your partner seem to favor.

Don't you think there's enough of that baloney going on over on the  Studebaker Drivers Club Forum?

And about those 64 'round light' 1964 model Avantis on Bob's website..........Are you sure that all 64 left the factory as 'round light' cars?........Think about it!:o

5 hours ago, Regnalbob said:

Just the facts.

Fact -  Total 1964 production is 809 and not 818.

Fact -   There are pictures of 64 1964 round light Avantis listed on Bob Johnstone's website.

Fact -  Do the math, numbers do not lie.

1 hour ago, mfg said:

Well, if you feel it's a joke than maybe it is! ........ I do try to keep things on the 'light side'!

This AVANTI TRIVIA column is supposed to be fun entertainment.......not this silly confrontation that you and your partner seem to favor.

Don't you think there's enough of that baloney going on over on the  Studebaker Drivers Club Forum?

And about those 64 'round light' 1964 model Avantis on Bob's website..........Are you sure that all 64 left the factory as 'round light' cars?........Think about it!

You asked a question and you have an obligation to give the correct answer yet you ignore all the information given for the correct answer.

So you make me and Gary the bad guys for trying to provide that information.

I asked you to do the math. 

It is well documented that R-4892 is the first square bezel Avanti. R-4835 is considered the first 1964 Avanti. That is 57 1964 round headlight Avantis produced before the first square bezel Avanti.

It is a known fact that all Avantis after R-4892 are not square bezels. R-4893 has round lights and you can see another 27 on Bob Johnstone's web site. Total 85.

Think about it, how many do you think were changed from square to round?  Probably none.

Your problems with the SDC Forum are not relevant here.

43 minutes ago, Regnalbob said:

Think about it, how many do you think were changed from square to round?  Probably none.

43 minutes ago, Regnalbob said:

"Probably none"?.....I know for certain of a 1964 square light Avanti which was involved in a front end collision and was repaired using a round light nose panel....Why?, the owner of that particular Avanti favored the original round light look!....No doubt a few other square light Avantis were changed to round light for similar reasons.

And as far as "obligations" are concerned, you can oblige folks who look at  AVANTI TRIVIA by being less confrontational.........If you can't do that, you may be happier corresponding with folks like yourself on the SDC Forum!:)

26 minutes ago, mfg said:

"Probably none"?.....I know for certain of a 1964 square light Avanti which was involved in a front end collision and was repaired using a round light nose panel....Why?, the owner of that particular Avanti favored the original round light look!....No doubt a few other square light Avantis were changed to round light for similar reasons.

And as far as "obligations" are concerned, you can oblige folks who look at  AVANTI TRIVIA by being less confrontational.........If you can't do that, you may be happier corresponding with folks like yourself on the SDC Forum!:)

Yes, footnote #3 from the article above by Fred Fox.

Now you are ignoring the topic all together and attacking me. 

You can deny all the facts, however the forum members who are following this topic will understand it.

Its looks like you are the one who is being confrontational. I was just trying to answer a question.

And who do you think you are telling me that I should correspond with folks like myself on the SDC Forum.