GT Number!

mfg

The Avanti R3 powered Gran Turismo Hawk Bonneville record setting car had the number.......? ....... painted onto its doors.

1) Three..............2) Four............3) Five.......or.......4) None of these numbers

7 hours ago, scottgriggs said:

What was the top speed recorded on runs with the R3-powered Hawk?  An R2 Hawk ran 140mph at Bonnevile, an R2 Avanti topped out at 158mph, and an R3 Avanti reached 178mph.

Paula Murphy, at the wheel of the R3 1964 Gran Turismo Hawk (#5), was recorded driving the car at 154 mph.

Speaking of Paula Murphy, here is a picture I came across a few days ago and had not seen before. It's not the R3 GT Hawk, but still a cool pic of Paula showing off an Allstate tire on a Halibrand wheel:

Paula Murphy number 9 avanti at bonneville.jpg

Edited by r1lark

On 11/13/2018 at 6:29 PM, r1lark said:

Speaking of Paula Murphy, here is a picture I came across a few days ago and had not seen before. It's not the R3 GT Hawk, but still a cool pic of Paula showing off an Allstate tire on a Halibrand wheel:

Paula Murphy number 9 avanti at bonneville.jpg

I've always felt that the radiator air scoop area of Studebaker Avantis should be left painted the exterior body color and not 'blacked out'....I know that some other Avanti fans disagree with this, however, here's one more piece of evidence confirming that this area originally was left the exterior body color. ('Avanti Gold' in this case!):)

Edited by mfg