Avanti 63R1001

mfg

The original body number issued to the first production Studebaker Avanti (63R1001) was......................?

1) RQ101.....2) 63RQ......3) 63RQ101......or.....4) 63RQ1001

Edited by mfg

6 hours ago, mfg said:

The original body number issued to the first production Studebaker Avanti (63R1001) was......................?

1) RQ101.....2) 63RQ......3) 63RQ101......or.....4) 63RQ1001

1) RQ101

2 hours ago, r1lark said:

I ought to know better by now to go against what Gary says, but..............

I'll say #3,  63RQ101

Sorry no, the designation on the body tag wasn't 63RQ101:(

2 hours ago, r1lark said:

I ought to know better by now to go against what Gary says, but..............

I'll say #3,  63RQ101

Don't feel that way.  Some of these trivia questions I know the answer to and others, like this one, I just make a "stab" at.

1 minute ago, studegary said:

Don't feel that way.  Some of these trivia questions I know the answer to and others, like this one, I just make a "stab" at.

Keep stabbing Gary!!!:)

11 minutes ago, mfg said:

No other thoughts here?

Okay, I will guess RQ 1001 or 63RQ 1001 to conform to your question..

Edited by studegary

3 minutes ago, mfg said:

Sorry,:( RQ1001 is not the correct answer.

So you are saying that it really didn't have a body number (therefore there is no correct answer to your question as originally posed).

5 minutes ago, studegary said:

So you are saying that it really didn't have a body number (therefore there is no correct answer to your question as originally posed).

Well Gary, '63' (of course the model year) IS a number!!!!!

But seriously, the answer to this question is  #..... 63RQ! :o

3 hours ago, r1lark said:

Sure would like to see a photograph of the body number plate on 63R1001......................:)

The body plate would probably read "63RQ101".....Why?...because initially there were no numbers assigned to this car...as per the PO, the body was simply referred to as "63RQ"....then, at some later date, the "101" number was assigned to this Avanti.......Remember, my question stated "original"!

According the parts manual, the Ashtabula supplied bodies had tags beginning with "RQ101"...no "63 or any other prefix.  

Factory manuals have been known to have errors but without a photo of the body tag in question as provenance I would accept the factory manual as authoritative.

On 7/29/2018 at 7:31 PM, Gunslinger said:

According the parts manual, the Ashtabula supplied bodies had tags beginning with "RQ101"...no "63 or any other prefix.  

Factory manuals have been known to have errors but without a photo of the body tag in question as provenance I would accept the factory manual as authoritative.

More power to you...however, I'm looking at a copy of 63R1001's production order, where it's clearly typed "Body Number- 63RQ"....and then (in a different, much bolder type) "101" was added at a later date.

Remember, although this first production Studebaker Avanti was eventually sold to a private individual (a Mr. Goldfarb) it was first sent to Studebaker service school's to familiarize technicians with this new model Studebaker! :)

Edited by mfg