Avanti Acceleration!

mfg

What problematic mechanical issue, unnoticed when the Avanti R2 & R3 engines were first being engineered,  can severely reduce the performance of an Avanti equipped with either of the above powerplants during hard (pedal to the floor) acceleration?

Probably the same as with '57-'58 Golden Hawks and Packard Hawks where the mechanical fuel pumps can't keep up with the needed fuel supply.  For these cars, Studebaker authorized dealers to install an electric fuel pump. 

14 hours ago, 1963r2 said:

Supercharger belts slipping,

Nope, not the belts....Although slipping belts can be a problem 'over time'....they weren't an issue the Stude engineers originally missed....KEEP THINKING!!

On 3/30/2017 at 10:24 PM, studegary said:

Probably the same as with '57-'58 Golden Hawks and Packard Hawks where the mechanical fuel pumps can't keep up with the needed fuel supply.  For these cars, Studebaker authorized dealers to install an electric fuel pump. 

No, the issue isn't lack of fuel pressure.

During testing of the R engines, it was noted that the supercharged engines had excessive blowby under boost. But supposedly this was corrected prior to production by using chrome top rings with a ground gap and double-grind operation for the top and bottom sides of the ring.

1 minute ago, r1lark said:

During testing of the R engines, it was noted that the supercharged engines had excessive blowby under boost. But supposedly this was corrected prior to production by using chrome top rings with a ground gap and double-grind operation for the top and bottom sides of the ring.

Good comment!...But this wasn't the problem....HINT!!.........NOT an internal engine issue!

Did the boost collapse the carb floats? I've never heard of this happening with a Stude, but what do I know? :)

But, it's hard to believe that the relatively wimpy boost from a SN60 would do that..................... 

1 minute ago, r1lark said:

Did the boost collapse the carb floats? I've never heard of this happening with a Stude, but what do I know? :)

But, it's hard to believe that the relatively wimpy boost from a SN60 would do that..................... 

Some say that the two brass floats in the supercharged version of the Carter AFB carb have internal reinforcements to resist collapsing under high blower boost....I really don't know if that's true or not,.......however, no, that is not the 'issue'!..(Good comment though!)

Boost kept the 'air flap' for the secondaries on the Carter AFB closed?

I've just about run out of ideas here Ed. And not helped by the fact that the only supercharged Studebaker I own is just a lonely R2 engine sitting in the basement. :)

1 hour ago, r1lark said:

Boost kept the 'air flap' for the secondaries on the Carter AFB closed?

I've just about run out of ideas here Ed. And not helped by the fact that the only supercharged Studebaker I own is just a lonely R2 engine sitting in the basement. :)

YOU NAILED IT PAUL!!!!!...The 'PBW' crew struggled with erratic acceleration times with the car until they figured that one out!

....and the same can happen to any unmodified R2 0r R3 Stude/Avanti!

I have to add.......WELL DONE!!!!

Edited by mfg