Fuel Door Removal

A83

Does anyone know how to properly remove the gas cap door on an 83 Avanti. I can feel two nuts and bolts but don't know if the bolts will fall through if I take the nuts off. The only other thing I can see to do is try to bang the hinge pin out but I am afraid of scratching the car of bending the assembly.

Thanks and appreciate your help.

Kevin

Thanks I called Dan Booth at Nostalgic he said don't mess with the bolts because the repair has to be done drilling from the outside and then repairing and repainting _ I was thinking of trying to get the hinge pin out but don't know if it's worth it anyway my problem is a chip in the upper left hand corner of the door that happens when the door is open to gas up _ any suggestions on how to prevent this by an adjustment of some sort or do I just be careful with the door

Appreciate it

For your broken door is there an epoxy will help?

Actually in reality the bolts stick through a piece of fiberglass, and then that assembly is bonded inside the opening. Often the nuts are rusted to the bolt threads, and they twist off trying to remove. Soak the nuts and threads several days with a good penetrating oil before trying to remove. I have a specially made (by me) 3/8" box wrench to get at them.

If you do break off the studs, you can heat the fiberglass, and unbond the original assembly. I have done this on several cars. No drilling required I use stainless new bolts and grind the heads fairly thin before sticking them through a fiberglass sheet and rebonding with 3M panel bond.. A circuit board works well for this purpose. Use the old piece as a template.

Some people have been known to remove the side interior, and drill holes inside the 1/4 panel to access the fuel door bolts.

My gas door also is chipped because it contacts the body when opened - is there an adjustment that can be made? The way the filler is angled the door has to be almost fully opened to accommodate the gas nozzle.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Kevin

You can use a dental mirror and flashlight to see and judge the condition of the bolts/threads. The nuts are 3/8", I believe. Small wrenches are available. Super penetrant oils are Kroil, Seafoam, etc. PB Blaster will work well, but some say it should be cleaned off after using. I've had my door off/on a few times for painting and can't remember it being a big deal, but there was something about getting the spring back on ...

The mounting holes are larger than the studs this gives the adjustment you need to center the door.

Brad booth bolts loosened and one broke off I am afraid to frighten the other one the gas door is a little loose and the fiber glass seems a little loose how do you go about heating the fiberglass to remove the assembly without damaging the car

For now the door seems driveable but don't want it to fall off when I am on a road trip

Do you get up to ct?

Kevin

I use a heat gun. But usually after I remove all the fuel system (tank, filler tube etc.) it's scary, but it can be done without damage.

Is there a best way to line up the plate to make the bolts and door align correctly when reinstalling?

Is there a real danger of fire if I leave the fuel system in or is it removed to not cause damage from the heat gun?

Thanks

Kevin

The best way to make sure everything aligns, is to make the new plate that holds the studs, exactly the same size s the one you remove. Then you can loosely put the gas door on the studs with the nuts. Then get some 3M panel bond, and some large "C" clamps, and bond the new assembly in place, and protect the paint by clamping the outside finish with some paint sticks.

Hi Brad, the fiber glass backing broke so half is still attached with the broken bolt. I saved a piece so I know how wide and thick to make the replacement template. Are you saying to make the template out of circuit board? Is the thickness critical to aligning flush with the car body?

Also is it critical to remove every shred of old epoxy if using the 3m panel bond?

Also, does the 3m allow you to set the new piece in , align the door and then remove the door before clamping without the piece shifting out of alignment?

Thanks ,

Kevin