Displacements

studegary

I'm assuming you mean from the factory, not outliers like the Cadillac 429, AVX or other owner installed engines.

289, 299, 304.5, 327, 350, 400, 305, 5.7 LS-1 (346 ci), 4.0 (don't know ci) and 4.6 (281 ci) Ford engines. That makes ten engines...if I missed any someone can correct it.

Yes, I was referring to normal factory production.

I do not consider the 299 engine to be in that category. Factory Sales Letter No. 161, 6/10/63 covers the R3 engines. It states: "The Avanti R3 ultra-high performance engine will be available on or about August 1, 1963....Cylinder block with 304.5 cubic inch piston displacement."

I consider the 5.7 Litre engines to be 350's, since that is what they are commonly referred to as.

The one that I thought that most would miss is the 244 cid (4.0 Litre).

Therefore, the answer that I was driving for is eight.

Edited by studegary

Didn't the Granatelli's make some of the B blocks into 299 c.i. R3's, having both 299 and 304.5 c.i. sizes?

Didn't the Granatelli's make some of the B blocks into 299 c.i. R3's, having both 299 and 304.5 c.i. sizes?

Yes, they did, but they did not fall within my criterion. I was referring to normal, factory options - refer to Sales Letter #161 (above quotes).

Yes, they did, but they did not fall within my criterion. I was referring to normal, factory options - refer to Sales Letter #161 (above quotes).

Gary, your OP question did not specify that.

Gary, your OP question did not specify that.

Factory installed was implied (and I was referring to regular factory options, otherwise, every four, six or eight cylinder engine that has been installed in an Avanti would be fair game for the question).

You were the one that "suggested" that I put some trivia questions on here.

Factory installed was implied (and I was referring to regular factory options, otherwise, every four, six or eight cylinder engine that has been installed in an Avanti would be fair game for the question).

You were the one that "suggested" that I put some trivia questions on here.

That I did!.....And keep them coming Gary!

• 2 weeks later...

Factory installed on the assembly line or installed by the factory?

The 299" R3's were installed by the factory, in fact, I'm not sure any were ever sold for private installation, they were the first R3's used for development and promotion before the 304.5 "B" versions were produced.

Correct me if wrong, but I don't believe any of the 9 Production Line R3's were ever raced by Studebaker.