Avanti II front coil springs

Mike Hill

I would like to know all the specifications for the front coil springs. I have a '78 that needs new springs. Moog cc655 were given as replacement springs. Is that correct? I looked up some specs on the cc655 and the free height was given as 13.63" The springs I have are 15.43" sitting out of the car.

I need to know what you guys have used. Being in New Zealand makes bringing coil springs in a very expensive option. If I have the specs something for a larger car here may fit. I'm no expert on the "black science" of coils ?

Cheers

Mike

I would like to know all the specifications for the front coil springs. I have a '78 that needs new springs. Moog cc655 were given as replacement springs. Is that correct? I looked up some specs on the cc655 and the free height was given as 13.63" The springs I have are 15.43" sitting out of the car.

I need to know what you guys have used. Being in New Zealand makes bringing coil springs in a very expensive option. If I have the specs something for a larger car here may fit. I'm no expert on the "black science" of coils

Cheers

Mike

CC655 springs on my 74. It obviously hasn't been driven so I would expect some settling as it will have more weight on it after the hood and interior are added. The aluminum spacers were removed. They are generally the "go to" inexpensive coil replacement for most Studebakers and derivatives. I believe they are Buick rear springs but can't recall the years exactly. Search CC655 on the SDC forum should give you a ton of info.

The tires are 225/55/R17 for reference. Bob

IMG_20150827_180352_zpsqcree6kp.jpg

Edited by Avanti83

Here is some info gleaned from a Google search that might help you:

Stude    Moog    Wire   Load Ht.  Load   Rate  Free Ht. 526134   370    .660"   9.25"     1590   377   13.5"But, doesn't list the number of coil turns or outside diameter.    
Edited by WayneC

(SOB) Have you checked to see if you will have to realign the front end or have you already done that?

thx

SS

It still needs to be realigned. I've just set it close for rolling around. Luckily there is an alignment shop locally that know old kingpin setups and does an excellent job on them. Bob

SS

It still needs to be realigned. I've just set it close for rolling around. Luckily there is an alignment shop locally that know old kingpin setups and does an excellent job on them. Bob

Thanks, I'm thinking about these... If they are in fact, almost 2" shorter, then it might need quite a tweak on the camber...