rear sway bar bushings

I'm working on the entire suspension/steering system and am having a problem  right from the start. I got a bushing kit for the rear sway bars and after fighting 40 years of rusted bolts I managed to disassemble the entire thing. It turns out the sway bar (on my 84) is the factory installed, larger, 3/4" diameter while the bushings are for the smaller 1/2" bar of previous years. As well, the retainers for the sway bar ends, are mangled (probably due to incorrectly places jacks/hoists over the years) so they also need replacing. Does anyone know of a source of the larger bushings and the end retainers that would hold them in place?  I will take any information on suppliers of OEM as well as after market sources.

grant mills

RQB3598

Hey Grant, any luck on your bushing search?  I acquired the larger set of bars for my 83 and was told the larger bushings were not available. Could they be forced on with silicone lube or maybe carefully hogged out with a Dremel? I was also told that replacing the front bar was a challenge.  Mike

Mike,

I managed to get proper size replacement bushings . (Avanti Parts & Restorations, Inc (avantiparts.biz))  The earlier front bushings are 3/4" and will fit the 84 rear support links and a pair of Energy Suspension bushings will fit over the end points of the rear sway bar...I would not try to enlarge the rubber hole of a smaller bushing as I fear I could never centre it properly. I appreciate the warning about the front sway bars as that is my next area to tackle after I finish with the back. .Now my problem has gone to having to replace the rusted (and now broken) u-bolt that held the left bushing at the axle. The u-bolt is proving stubborn in coming off, but I am also worried about having proper support for the springs/body as I remove it. I plan to only replace that one u-bolt as I soon will need to get the leaf springs recurved (they look as if they have NO arc to them) Should I be concerned about supporting the leaf spring/body as I  work on that u-bolt?  (The right side nuts came off the u-bolt as I worked them slowly with a breaker bar and extension , not using the impact wrench which broke the first one)

grant

Thanks Grant. Let us know how it goes. I have a set of bigger bars I’d like to tackle. Will you be able to drive your car to see the difference the bars make or do you have other work to do?  Interesting to hear from anyone who has installed the bigger bars if they like the results. Mike