Shift lever indicator light-hot hot hot!

Footer

Has anyone replaced their shift indicator light with an LED bulb that reduces the heat output?  I’m thinking another option would be to install some kind of cup holder over it to keep my coffee piping hot!  Mike

2 hours ago, JimM said:

Done it on my 1975. Removed cap over bulb so it lights entire shifter. Works fine.

Good thought….. That area does get hot as blazes!!

15 minutes ago, 64studeavanti said:

Do later Avantis have the Studebaker transmission cooling fix? In a service bulletin, Studebaker specified a kit that was installed where cool air from the cowl vents was ducted to the transmission.

Most later Avantis had A/C, and I think the factory saw that as the cure!

So Jim, when you removed the cap over the bulb, does it still identify which gear you are in? 

And after the above comments I’m wondering if the heat is coming from the bulb or the transmission?  Mike

On 6/13/2024 at 4:13 PM, 64studeavanti said:

Do later Avantis have the Studebaker transmission cooling fix? In a service bulletin, Studebaker specified a kit that was installed where cool air from the cowl vents was ducted to the transmission.

The Service Letter is dated 12/5/63.  Console cooling kit - Avanti models without air conditioning.

Quote:

"Current production Avanti models, identified by square headlights, are equipped with a cooling device for the console, transmission tunnel, and shift control lever."

This may indicate that all Avantis without air conditioning (R1 & R2) starting at R-4892 had the cooling device installed at the factory.

The cooling kit described in the service letter is for Avantis with both automatic and standard shift transmissions.

Edited by regnalbob

28 minutes ago, 64studeavanti said:

Both R5408, 4spd with A/C, and R5423, Auto with A/C, have the cooling kit that ducts air from the cowl vents to the transmission tunnel installed.

Of course, both could have been modified after production.

It looks like all Avantis starting with R-4892 had the cooling kit installed at the factory.

The parts catalog shows all the parts listed were used for all models.

The cover over the automatic gear selector started in production after 5400 units.

The cover is included in the kit.

It's interesting the kit only applies to cars without air.

Covergearselector.thumb.png.c028707fe69d132ba66b8e091cb9646a.png

13 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

Both R5408, 4spd with A/C, and R5423, Auto with A/C, have the cooling kit that ducts air from the cowl vents to the transmission tunnel installed.

Of course, both could have been modified after production.

Interesting…. Possibly installed by selling dealer at request of original owner.