Vent window track reline

I tried years ago and didn't have much success. I ended up buying the runners. How did you do it?

Good luck,

Jim Wood

Worked perfectly. A lot of elbow grease (and nasty chemicals) needed to remove the old material from the track. After installing the new velcro, I had a little too much material on the sides. Single edged razorblade took care of the excess. No problems since replacing. 

Edited by Desert Driver

3 hours ago, Desert Driver said:

Worked perfectly. A lot of elbow grease (and nasty chemicals) needed to remove the old material from the track. After installing the new velcro, I had a little too much material on the sides. Single edged razorblade took care of the excess. No problems since replacing. 

Same with me. 

Although I already had regular Velcro for the upcoming job, yesterday instead, I ordered the heavy-duty outdoor version! That tip was on the SDC Forum, in response to the same question I asked there. 

As a side note, on the rest of the mechanism.  I am just finishing up white lithium grease to all the wear spots, 3 new rollers, and using a hypodermic needle to get grease in all the pivots. Also, new motor gear. I can't believe all the pieces that the old one was in (plastic shards). 

This is all being done on an '85, yours may have a different motor, depending on the year of the Avanti. But the rest of the mechanism seems to have remained the same over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

The passenger side is done. It came out very nice, and window slides easily.

The old adhesive was terrible to remove. Combination of scraping, sanding, abrasive pad, (all the while being careful not to wreck the stainless-steel beads). Also, every chemical that I own.

By the way, none of the chemicals did much at all. 2 different adhesive removers didn't touch it.  

On 3/27/2024 at 12:10 PM, George Rohrbach said:

The old adhesive was terrible to remove. Combination of scraping, sanding, abrasive pad, (all the while being careful not to wreck the stainless-steel beads). Also, every chemical that I own.

By the way, none of the chemicals did much at all. 2 different adhesive removers didn't touch it.  

Same here. I'm convinced they used Loctite to minimize warranty claims. 

Yes.

Chemicals I tried:

Brake Cleaner, Carb/Choke Cleaner, Eastwood Pre, Por15 Solvent, Acetone, Toluene, Xylol (Xylene), 70% Isopropyl Alcohol, Awesome, Por15 Marine Clean, 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover, 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, StepUp, and anything else I have in my garage. 

Nothing really touches this left over adhesive very much. It is just very tenacious!