I need a new or used driver's seat mounting frame for my 87 convertible

Jim S

The bearings have all fallen out of my seat slider frame on my 87 convertible.  I purchased a new universal frame to have my floor mounts welded on to.  However the new frame is too thin to safely weld anything on to it.  So I'm back to square one with a broken driver's seat.  Can anyone tell me where to get a good used frame or tell where the originals were sourced from so I can proceed in that direction?  My car will remained parked until I can fix this headache!  Thanks  all.

I’m not that familiar with post-‘85 Avantis.  I know they’re based on a GM platform with an Avanti body.  Is the floor and frame modified from original GM or left as-is with the new body and interior made to fit it?  If the floor pan is still GM I would think the appropriate GM seat base will fit.

If not…were Recaro seats still optional in ‘87?  Recaro bought Avanti bases from Wedge Engineering which I believe is or was located in CA.  Wedge may be able to help you.

If none of this pans out…contact Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors.  He may be able to help.

Years ago I purchased an 'imitation' Recaro seat for the driver side ('88).  As I recall I also needed to buy (from the seat manufacturer) a seat floor mount that was for the GM platform.  This was necessary for the New seat to be able to 'match' the floor studs/bolts.  So, yes GM.

Update: Wedge's website now says they only make brackets for Corbeau seat models, and points you to Corbeau's website.
Sounds like good ol' EBay, or maybe hunting for vendors/shops carrying old stock, for the Recaro brackets.

Nevermind that. https://corbeau.com/avanti-seat-brackets/
Now, it may be they mean for you to use Corbeau seats on those brackets. I wonder if unbolting the top rails and bolting on Recaro rails would allow you to use Recaro seats?

Edited by Geoff