I would like to let the Avanti world know I have a "Barn Find 64" that will be going up for auction in November. It is a 64 R1 and is completely apart. The auction will be in Hudson FL and will be an online auction.

Dale Graham

The auction site is harrisauctionsllc.com and it will be on November 18 in Hudson Fl. Local preview for the auction will be on Friday the 17th. The car is all apart but the majority of parts are still there. The engine was rebuilt a while back but don't know exactly when. I will try to answer any questions the best I can.

Thanks for the interest.

2 hours ago, Dale Graham said:

The auction site is harrisauctionsllc.com and it will be on November 18 in Hudson Fl. Local preview for the auction will be on Friday the 17th. The car is all apart but the majority of parts are still there. The engine was rebuilt a while back but don't know exactly when. I will try to answer any questions the best I can.

Thanks for the interest.

2 hours ago, Dale Graham said:

Thanks for the interest.

Is there any paperwork that documents the engine rebuild?,,,

Rick, Unfortunately, John, the owner of the cars, passed in April and he told me it had been rebuilt. John was an "engine builder" so unfortunately there is no paperwork, just his word. It is together as a long block with the intake and water pump manifold not installed.

I'm hoping you might be able to answer a question for me. What type of Carb did the engine come with? I have 10 different Carbs to try and match to 4 different cars and 4 different engines

20230926_142908[1].jpg

WOW! I look at that engine every time I'm up there and I never looked closely at that sticker. According to John's wife it was Don Wright in St Pete. Good call 64studeavanti. I do have an AFB amongst the ten or so carbs I have, I will check the number.

Thank you all and don't forget, it will be going up for auction Nov 18th in Hudson and online. harrisauctionsllc.com

Note: Engine and Trany were both rebuilt.

• 1 month later...

Went to the auction today, it was rescheduled from November 18th.

Bought R5423 for $4520 including buyer premium and credit card fee.

As near as I can tell, the hogs are intact (they have been sprayed with bedliner). I tested several areas with an ice pick. The 'A' pillars and window frame look great. The body is in very good condition with no evidence of wrecks. The frame is solid except for the brace under the spare tire well, an inexpensive fix. The paint is pretty bad and a non stock color, so will need a respray. Glass is good.  Engine and transmission were supposedly rebuilt a while ago. Both will need disassembly and inspection before use.

Quite a few of the missing parts are in boxes with the car. Will know more when I get a chance to do an inventory.

So far, looks like a good buy. Thanks to Dale for bringing this to our attention.

17 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

Went to the auction today, it was rescheduled from November 18th.

Bought R5423 for $4520 including buyer premium and credit card fee.

As near as I can tell, the hogs are intact (they have been sprayed with bedliner). I tested several areas with an ice pick. The 'A' pillars and window frame look great. The body is in very good condition with no evidence of wrecks. The frame is solid except for the brace under the spare tire well, an inexpensive fix. The paint is pretty bad and a non stock color, so will need a respray. Glass is good.  Engine and transmission were supposedly rebuilt a while ago. Both will need disassembly and inspection before use.

Quite a few of the missing parts are in boxes with the car. Will know more when I get a chance to do an inventory.

So far, looks like a good buy. Thanks to Dale for bringing this to our attention.

Good for you!...Best of luck with your exciting new acquisition!

Edited by mfg
Spelling

Got it home yesterday. Missing carb and starter. I have an edelbrock I could use. I may have a spare starter. Dale said he would check the place it was stored as there are many parts of various cars left over.

As I indicated in an earlier post, the valley cover is from an older engine with a road draft tube. Does anyone have the correct Avanti valley cover they can spare?

It came with some new parts including most of the rubber as well as a new dash pad!

I will also be in the market for some original wheels and covers. Let me know what you have.

Thanks

The original wheels for a '64 Avanti were 15 x 5".  Do you really want these?  Many say that they aren't safe to use with radial tires.  If you want the originals I have a couple spare 15 x 5" wheels I will sell ($45 ea + shpg).

Many of us have been using 15 x 6" or 15 x 6.5" Ford or Chrysler wheels with radial tires.

At least the original wheels are good for a spare that will fit in the trunk tire well.  The fastidious, relentless previous owner (an aerospace engineer) of my '64 Avanti put a bias-ply tire on one.  It fits in the well perfectly.

--Dwight

The lug holes are not wallowed out.  The wheels show no apparent damage, except a nick or two on the rim edge.  It's possible for any wheel to be bent.  I have no way to check that, so I'll just have to give a money-back guarantee on that.  The pix below may be the best looking one that I have, but I don't think there is any damage to my others.

I'll look downstairs and see how many I have.  Let me know your zip code and I will check USPS, UPS, & FedEx to find the cheapest shipping.  Or, if you have a shipping preference I'll use that one.  I have some wheel boxes that new wheels came in, so the packaging will be quick & easy.

I may have a used wheel cover or two.  I'll look.

I notice that we are "next-door neighbors."  I own R5407.

Dwight FitzSimons, 1146 Simmons Gap Rd., Dyke, VA 22935-1103, 434-973-9410, studedwight@centurylink.net

Studebaker Avanti wheels 20231210 (1).JPG

Studebaker Avanti wheels 20231210 (2).JPG

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons