Replacing gas tank sender

Nelson

On my 82, I removed the back seat and seat back fiber glass panel. There is also a small metal panel accessible from inside the trunk right next to the sender unit that I removed as well.  Next, remove the bolts that secure the metal lines on top of the tank so you can move them around (there are hoses on them) and you will be able to remove the sender at the point.  You'll have to rotate the sender around some to work it out.

You don’t need to loosen the straps or tilt the engine.  It’s a pretty straightforward R&R.  If you don’t have a shop manual…get one.  It has all the instructions you need.  I’ve replaced fuel tank senders in a ‘63 and a ‘70…both identical installations.  It’s hardest on your knees so get some kind of padding to kneel on.  

• 3 weeks later...

Nelson,  Both me and Brad have removed and replaced the fuel sending. unit WITHOUT removing the interior back seat. 

Go through the trunk and let the top half of the carpet over the back wall of the trunk (if there is carpet there) and remove the three screws that hold the 5-6 inches square piece of fiberglass to the rear trunk wall. You may have to loosen or remove the metal brace that runs across the top. 

Then you can reach your hand through the opening, remove the wires and using a short, stubby screwdriver or quarter inch small ratchet with a screwdriver bit, remove the screws that hold the sending unit in the tank and then lift the sending unit out.  You'll have to turn it sideways and play with it a bit to get the float arm out all the way, but it can be done..... all without removing the back seat or tank. 

4 hours ago, lschuc said:

Nelson,  Both me and Brad have removed and replaced the fuel sending. unit WITHOUT removing the interior back seat. 

Go through the trunk and let the top half of the carpet over the back wall of the trunk (if there is carpet there) and remove the three screws that hold the 5-6 inches square piece of fiberglass to the rear trunk wall. You may have to loosen or remove the metal brace that runs across the top. 

Then you can reach your hand through the opening, remove the wires and using a short, stubby screwdriver or quarter inch small ratchet with a screwdriver bit, remove the screws that hold the sending unit in the tank and then lift the sending unit out.  You'll have to turn it sideways and play with it a bit to get the float arm out all the way, but it can be done..... all without removing the back seat or tank. 

Yea, that doesn't work when you are an old man like me with a couple of back surgeries behind him.  Taking out the back seat and panel is way easier for us that don't have the flexibility any more :D

Edited by ronmanfredi