1. Trunk carpet Fasteners? 2. Wrench, jack and jack handle?

Leo B

I have R4543 (June 1963) and it looks like the carpet was only on the bottom. All areas of the trunk are painted semi-matte black and there are no adhesive areas. Looks very original. The carpet was removed by the previous owner (before 1976) and I would like to restore this. The authenticity manual shows that later production did not have carpet on the sides of the trunk. Black paint was used instead. I have carpet around the trunk latch receiver so I can see what the carpet should be.
The pictures show that screw holes have been drilled in the bottom and they are possibly original because a template was clearly used in the drilling.

Questions
1. Are tho holes for carpet fasterners?

2. Where to find correct wrench and jack and jack handle?

Edited by Leo B

On 8/28/2023 at 9:24 PM, regnalbob said:

The carpet is glued down. The only fasteners were the two screws used at the top of the trunk latch to hold the carpet.

The pictures are not clear enough to reference the location of the holes.

There has never been any glue in this trunk. I cleaned it up and painted the worn areas with matte black. I also cleaned and painted the antenna ground. Also new felt pieces. Since the wheel wrench is under the carpet, it cannot be under the glue. The drilled holes show no signs of anything being in them. The fabric is probably held in place with the spare tire cover. I will use some holes to install carpet fasteners and I cover the rest of the holes.
This Avanti had carpet only on bottom area.

BTW. I found original trunk tools.

trunk.jpg

Edited by Leo B
Photo

3 hours ago, Leo B said:

There has never been any glue in this trunk. I cleaned it up and painted the worn areas with matte black. I also cleaned and painted the antenna ground. Also new felt pieces. Since the wheel wrench is under the carpet, it cannot be under the glue. The drilled holes show no signs of anything being in them. The fabric is probably held in place with the spare tire cover. I will use some holes to install carpet fasteners and I cover the rest of the holes.
This Avanti had carpet only on bottom area.

BTW. I found original trunk tools.

trunk.jpg

Those holes are not factory. The floor carpet had a vinyl strip attached to the edge and was glued to the edge of the spare tire well.

The rest of the carpet was not glued.

The carpet on the tire cover also had a vinyl strip and was stapled to the cover.

IMG_20230829_163817262_HDR.thumb.jpg.fffcb80bc2d154c86c3a2a4ab310a6cb.jpgIMG_20230829_164036164_HDR.thumb.jpg.73faeb80f712db09c86deb52d7f5f2e5.jpgIMG_20230829_163844566_HDR.thumb.jpg.564a5ff47359be105ad137dc04f4bc20.jpg

6 hours ago, regnalbob said:

Those holes are not factory. The floor carpet had a vinyl strip attached to the edge and was glued to the edge of the spare tire well.

The rest of the carpet was not glued.

The carpet on the tire cover also had a vinyl strip and was stapled to the cover.

Thank You Regnalbob for the good explanation and the good pictures.👍

2 hours ago, John Brissette said:

Leo, I would add that my Avanti, 63R-1348, that I have owned for 51 years, has a fully carpeted trunk, just like the above photos.

Yes. I have R2 1963 R4543 June. The Avanti interior is original. Only the roof has disintegrated and it had fallen down. What confuses me is that the interior carpet is red and black and old and broken in the driver's footarea. Definitely original. Running Changes shows that there should be black after R-4275.
It first seemed to me that my Avanti only had trunk carpet on the bottom. The authenticity manual indicates that the version was completed late. I think my Avant should have the same version as yours. The first owner had removed all the carpets from the trunk. Maybe he had spilled something there and it was ruined.

Do you have picture how trunk carpet is done near trunk latch receiver? Like to know wire area. I have a good condition piece of fabric which is around receiver.

Edited by Leo B