FUEL PUMP KIT

Rick Allen

I too have bought several of these fuel pump rebuilding kits.  They are not for all Ford engines. Only the high performance Shelby Mustang type cars using the Carter X fuel pump. 

They are a high quality parts and use internal rubber parts that will not swell up or disintegrate with the use of alcohol that is on our fuel today.

I got the kits from DeadNutsOn at   https://www.deadnutson.com/carter-high-performance-x-fuel-pump-rebuild-kit/

Yes, others have said the same thing, but it shows a lot of parts the original pump does not show in the Avanti manual, 3 valves, 3 springs, 3 extra rubber parts, etc., if those parts are not needed (unless those parts are there but not shown in the manual?), seems to me only the diaphragm assembly is the most critical part and that can be bought for $22 on e-bay, Carter brand, USA made too!

IMG_20230813_113332133.jpg

The picture you show from the shop manual looks to be a smaller diameter fuel pump for a standard V8 engine, not the R-Series engines.  Most likely the writers of the Studebaker shop manual did not update this or other photos or diagrams when the Avanti came out. The picture posted on the DeadNutsOn website shows three valves and springs, but I can assure you that you only use two valves, rubber disks and springs and the kit, if I remember correctly, comes with the needed two internal valves and springs.  Maybe some of the Carter X fuel pumps use three valves in some applications, but not all. 

And when I searched on eBay for "1963 Avanti Carter fuel pump rebuild kit" the same type of kits show in my search results at nearly the same or high costs than the link I posted above.  If you should get a rebuild kit for a standard Studebaker V8 fuel pump, that will not work because the diaphragm and all the internal parts are smaller than on the Carter X pumps.

14 minutes ago, lschuc said:

The picture you show from the shop manual looks to be a smaller diameter fuel pump for a standard V8 engine, not the R-Series engines.  Most likely the writers of the Studebaker shop manual did not update this or other photos or diagrams when the Avanti came out. The picture posted on the DeadNutsOn website shows three valves and springs, but I can assure you that you only use two valves, rubber disks and springs and the kit, if I remember correctly, comes with the needed two internal valves and springs.  Maybe some of the Carter X fuel pumps use three valves in some applications, but not all. 

And when I searched on eBay for "1963 Avanti Carter fuel pump rebuild kit" the same type of kits show in my search results at nearly the same or high costs than the link I posted above.  If you should get a rebuild kit for a standard Studebaker V8 fuel pump, that will not work because the diaphragm and all the internal parts are smaller than on the Carter X pumps.

Thank for the info, even though I believe my pump to be original since my R2 has been the road since 1973 , I'll have to clean it up and look for a number so I be sure to order the correct kit; I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine and am torn between using the original mechanical pump or an electric pump mounted back on the frame below the fuel tank,,,

On 8/13/2023 at 1:31 PM, lschuc said:

In the factory parts manual, on page 24 of the fuel section, there is a picture of the exploded fuel pump with a C 4024 number below it, don't know what the number represents, is it a Carter #?

My fuel pump from my R2 has the number 0-1529 so I'm wondering if it is the correct pump for an R2 or a replacement somewhere along the way, I know the pumps for an R1 and R2  have different part numbers in the pats manual, don't want to order a rebuild kit if it is not the right fuel pump!,,,

IMG_20230815_192350072.jpg

1 hour ago, Rick Allen said:

In the factory parts manual, on page 24 of the fuel section, there is a picture of the exploded fuel pump with a C 4024 number below it, don't know what the number represents, is it a Carter #?

My fuel pump from my R2 has the number 0-1529 so I'm wondering if it is the correct pump for an R2 or a replacement somewhere along the way, I know the pumps for an R1 and R2  have different part numbers in the pats manual, don't want to order a rebuild kit if it is not the right fuel pump!,,,

IMG_20230815_192350072.jpg

1529 is the correct Avanti fuel pump.

All Avantis use the same repair kit.

You will use all the parts shown except for one valve, gasket and spring.

C 4024 has nothing to do with the fuel pump.

If you look you will see a similar number on each plate page.

As mentioned above that is not a diagram of an Avanti fuel pump, it is from earlier parts catalogs.

1529 is the casting number for that part. It is the same R1 an R2.

The Carter part number is stamped into the edge off the mounting flange.

3509S for an R1

3508S for an R2     There may or may not be an M before the number.

The difference between the two is the R2 housing (1529) is drilled and tapped for a fitting for the blower pressure reference  line.

Pictures below are an R2 pump 3508

IMG_1845.jpeg

IMG_1846.jpeg