'Warmed Up' R3!

mfg

What advice did Studebaker give to owners of new R3 & R4 powered cars.....to be performed after the first good hot 'run'?....................1) just normal maintenance.........2) Re-set ignition timing.............3) Re-torque cylinder heads.......or..........4) Change-out break in engine oil

3, they had composition type head gaskets

.........#3 it is!......... The R3 engine in the PBW had to be overhauled because they failed to perform this important step!

Sorry if it is obvious, but what does PBW stand for?

No problem!....PBW stands for 'PLAIN BROWN WRAPPER'.....The name given to the R3 powered 1964 Studebaker Challenger owned by longtime SDC member George Krem and driven by Ted Harbit.

The PBW has done GREAT at recent 'Pure Stock Muscle Car' annual dragrace events!!

Edited by mfg

Didn't Paxton run all the R3/R4 engines on a dyno after assembly......or did I just imagine that?

If they were run on the dyno, it would seem that the heads could have been retorqued at that time.

Didn't Paxton run all the R3/R4 engines on a dyno after assembly......or did I just imagine that?

If they were run on the dyno, it would seem that the heads could have been retorqued at that time.

Hard to say r1, but an 'important' notice was sent out by Paxton regarding engine break in, which stated the cylinder heads should be re-torqued after the first good hot run-in.

My guess would be the 'scalloped' upper cylinders found in R3 & R4 engines (to clear the larger valves) may have had something to do with this.