Late 64 Avanti seats used in Avanti II

Nelson

I assume the early Avanti II used the Late 64 seat bottom and back. Eventually the seat back acquired the built in head rest. Was the head rest simply an add or weld on to the existing Studebaker design? In other words, could an early Avanti II seat back be re conformed to the original late 64 style?

I would like to find or duplicate a set of late thick back buckets to reupholster and install  in a 64 Avanti.

Edited by Nelson

11 hours ago, Nelson said:

I assume the early Avanti II used the Late 64 seat bottom and back. Eventually the seat back acquired the built in head rest. Was the head rest simply an add or weld on to the existing Studebaker design? In other words, could an early Avanti II seat back be re conformed to the original late 64 style?

I would like to find or duplicate a set of late thick back buckets to reupholster and install  in a 64 Avanti.

The Avanti Motors Avanti II seats were completely different from the original Studebaker seats. The seats were made be Recaro. I’m not sure what years the original seats were used and when Recaro were added. Someone else will probably respond with more input.

The earlier Avanti II bucket seats were a continuation of the '64 Avanti (thick back) seats, just not upholstered the same.  I have parted out one 1968 Avanti and two 1970 Avantis.  The '68 seat was low back and the '70 seats were high back.  I have a faint memory of reading that the headrest was simply a piece of fiberglass attached to the backrest shell.

The Recaro seats didn't come along until later (late '70s or so).

--Dwight

14 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

The earlier Avanti II bucket seats were a continuation of the '64 Avanti (thick back) seats, just not upholstered the same.  I have parted out one 1968 Avanti and two 1970 Avantis.  The '68 seat was low back and the '70 seats were high back.  I have a faint memory of reading that the headrest was simply a piece of fiberglass attached to the backrest shell.

The Recaro seats didn't come along until later (late '70s or so).

--Dwight

Dwight, do you still have the seats?

On 5/21/2023 at 9:30 AM, Nelson said:

Yes, the early Avanti ll bucket seat backs were 'add on reworked' (head rest accomodation) of the original Studebaker Avanti seat backrest.

An early Avanti ll which I purchased years ago, (RQA 0298) was ordered in an extremely unusual fashion....The driver's seat had the early Avanti ll head rest rework...while the passenger seat was stock late '64 Studebaker Avanti! (no built in headrest) ...Everything was upholstered in green tweed and black vinyl.

Edited by mfg
added text

I used the driver's seat bottom from RQA0298 for another Avanti. However, I think I still have the driver's seat backrest, (with the factory add on headrest), which  I saved years ago as an oddity.

(I installed a pair of 'Brand X' bucket seats in RQA0298 when I owned it.)

1 hour ago, mfg said:

I used the driver's seat bottom from RQA0298 for another Avanti. However, I think I still have the driver's seat backrest, (with the factory add on headrest), which  I saved years ago as an oddity.

(I installed a pair of 'Brand X' bucket seats in RQA0298 when I owned it.)

That's one good thing about Avanti II's; One can modify them without someone calling for your head.

--Dwight