Avanti Due Cento!

mfg

We know that the Due Cento Avanti's R5 engine is alive and well.....  (possibly sans original heads) However, does anyone know 'what's up' with the car itself?

Is the Due Cento Avanti still in original unrestored condition...or has it possibly been restored? (less engine)

'THE WORLD WONDERS'!!

Last I heard, it was pretty much done. Richard wanted me to come out and do some door adjustments, but that was a couple years ago, and I haven't heard a thing since.

• 11 months later...

I don't want to upset the wagon and can certainly appreciate what has been done to make a "tribute" to the R5. The work that went into building it is very commendable. I believe that the intake boxes, brackets, and pulleys that are on the engine are in fact ones used on the car. However I do know for fact that the block is not the block used for the R5 or any of the potential back up engines. I would have to look through some paperwork to find the exact numbers, but the R5 that was run in 63 had a number stamped on it. I know this because I have a comprehensive list of all the numbers stamped on engine blocks. The R5 that was used and any back up engines that were built all were stamped. 

Also somewhere there was mention of the car not getting over 200mph, the car did in fact go over 200. The time slips that Andy had proved that. I believe that somewhere around here I have copies of them. The two way average was obviously not 200 because of poor salt conditions. I'll try and locate those. The cars were run October 14-23 of 63. The original plan was September 16, but conditions were poor.

Anthony. George Krem’s father had a 63 Avanti many years ago with an R3 engine. He was not impressed with the performance at the time. He mentioned he suspected cam grind issues so he changed out the cam. That car with engine were sold several times. The present owner has removed the cylinder heads or at least one head for some reason I don’t remember. He mentioned the pistons were notched to possibly lower compression. I believe the runners in the head were also massaged to increase flow. The engine was purchased from Paxton in the late 60’s and I believe it has a B number around 100. Speculation is that it may have the rotating assembly from R5 and possibly the cylinder heads also? The car also had a four row radiator which sounds typical for the Bonneville cars. I know Vince was assembling R3 engines as long as he could out of left over parts as long as parts could be had. Any thoughts as to the feasibility this engine could have R5 parts in its build??

Anyone know whether the rear fender skirts, which were installed on the Due Cento on some of its Bonneville runs, were fabricated out of fiberglass or metal?

8 hours ago, Nelson said:

Good question. My first thought was fiberglass. I think they were held on with twist cam lock fasteners which might or might not mean anything. 
Good to see you back.

Thanks!…..I love the look of the aerodynamic panels which the Granatellis installed on ‘Due Cento’…. especially the small hood scoop which looks, I think, quite ‘mean’!!

If that Avanti is ever brought out of retirement, I sure hope it’s displayed with all those purposeful Bonneville body modifications!

On 4/9/2024 at 7:13 PM, Anthony63 said:

I haven't looked at the forum in a while. Mfg, I tried to send you a message about this, but it would not allow me to. Please reach out.

Sorry Anthony…. not sure how to send PM’s on this forum.

I'm not sure how to send messages either! Those panels were made out of metal. There was a complete belly pan as well. The car was run in 63 with several different configurations. Some runs with the full pan and skirts, runs with just the skirts, some with nothing at all, and even down to different wheels. 

18 hours ago, Anthony63 said:

I'm not sure how to send messages either! Those panels were made out of metal. There was a complete belly pan as well. The car was run in 63 with several different configurations. Some runs with the full pan and skirts, runs with just the skirts, some with nothing at all, and even down to different wheels. 

Ah-ha!!….. I was thinking those custom rear skirts on the ‘Due Cento’ were made of metal…. and probably a fairly thick gauge… adding weight over the rear wheels aiding traction, and also preventing ‘oil canning’ at high speed!

Anthony. Since you visit so infrequently, I have a question off this topic but would like the information. What do you know about Joe Granatelli’s Cadillac Avanti? Did it arrived with no engine or an R1. I suspect it was supposed to get an R4 with ac as when I looked at the car it had the lowered front control arms.

On 4/20/2024 at 1:49 AM, mfg said:

Sorry Anthony…. not sure how to send PM’s on this forum.

Click on the persons name to open up there profile and then look for the envelope symbol. Press that and you can send a PM.

PS a very interesting topic, I get the feeling Anthony may have some interesting information.

Peter

Edited by 1963r2

4 hours ago, 1963r2 said:

Click on the persons name to open up there profile and then look for the envelope symbol. Press that and you can send a PM.

PS a very interesting topic, I get the feeling Anthony may have some interesting information.

Peter

Agreed!….Agreed!!