Brake Master Cylinder Reco

Zedman

I have removed the master cylinder from my '81 Avanti II to ascertain its viability for re-use. The car is undergoing a Re-Frame and everything is being worked on.  Alas, there is a small area of pitting in the bore and I daresay the rubber parts are not to be trusted.  What I'd like to do is recondition the original cylinder and sleeve it in Stainless steel but I'd need to find a kit to replace the old 'guts'. I have searched the Internet but have not come up with any leads. So first question is - anybody know of a supplier for such ?

1206371568_2Jan23MCbottomview.thumb.JPG.4f56d4bb88c39d3a332786f775934337.JPG

Now, I've checked and I know that I can replace the whole kaboodle with a 'Centric' 130.61026 version or a few others that retain the original 15/16" bore, but I like fixing stuff and a seal kit is a damn-sight less expensive to ship across the Pacific as well !

BTW, has anybody used the Centric unit and could vouch for it?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ceb-130-61026/make/ford/model/torino/year/1969

1 hour ago, Zedman said:

I have removed the master cylinder from my '81 Avanti II to ascertain its viability for re-use. The car is undergoing a Re-Frame and everything is being worked on.  Alas, there is a small area of pitting in the bore and I daresay the rubber parts are not to be trusted.  What I'd like to do is recondition the original cylinder and sleeve it in Stainless steel but I'd need to find a kit to replace the old 'guts'. I have searched the Internet but have not come up with any leads. So first question is - anybody know of a supplier for such ?

1206371568_2Jan23MCbottomview.thumb.JPG.4f56d4bb88c39d3a332786f775934337.JPG

Now, I've checked and I know that I can replace the whole kaboodle with a 'Centric' 130.61026 version or a few others that retain the original 15/16" bore, but I like fixing stuff and a seal kit is a damn-sight less expensive to ship across the Pacific as well !

BTW, has anybody used the Centric unit and could vouch for it?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ceb-130-61026/make/ford/model/torino/year/1969

I installed the Ford style master cylinder, which you are considering, on my '83 Avanti several years ago...and have had no problems with it

10 hours ago, 1963r2 said:

Any competent brake rebuilder should be able to re sleeve and match the seals.

10 hours ago, 1963r2 said:

Any competent brake rebuilder should be able to re sleeve and match the seals.

Pb

Hi Peter- The plunger assembly in this unit has had the centre pin swaged over, which prevents disassembly of the middle seal. I'm looking at a 'work around' for this  issue because, I agree, new seals would probably be available.

10 hours ago, mfg said:

I installed the Ford style master cylinder, which you are considering, on my '83 Avanti several years ago...and have had no problems with it

Thanks for the advice MFG 👌

FWIW...I replaced the master cylinder on my 77 with a rebuilt unit from Rock auto.  It was a perfect fit & cross referenced from a 67 Ford Cyclone with a 390 & front disc brakes.  No issues in 5 years.  

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mercury,1967,cyclone,6.4l+390cid+v8,1343573,brake+&+wheel+hub,master+cylinder,1836

4 hours ago, Steve-Avanti said:

FWIW...I replaced the master cylinder on my 77 with a rebuilt unit from Rock auto.  It was a perfect fit & cross referenced from a 67 Ford Cyclone with a 390 & front disc brakes.  No issues in 5 years.  

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mercury,1967,cyclone,6.4l+390cid+v8,1343573,brake+&+wheel+hub,master+cylinder,1836

Thanks Steve 👌