Steering Rag Joint replacement-1980 Avanti

pantera928

Well, I bought a new rag joint after talking with Dan Booth. He said that no one he had ever sold one to had found out it wasn't needed.

Well, I am the exception to the rule. I replaced mine today and it was like new, just dirty. Of course the car only has 26,000 miles on it. Still, I am not unhappy about doing it because now I know that the one in there will probably out live me.

I read Dan's instructions and decided to do it differently. Not saying anything against his way but I am always trying to find an easier way and I did so without any blood loss or bad language which is rare for me.

I did not remove any of the brake parts he mentioned nor did I remove the shift lock on the steering column not did I unhook anything electrical on the column.

There is barely enough room to do the job without doing any of that. It can be done by just removing the pinch bolts, removing the nuts that hold it together and lowering the steering column after removing the bolts at the firewall. Then it slides off of the splines. I did not remove the flange part on the column but removed the pinch bolt and pushed it back toward the firewall a little to get the clearance to slide the rag joint off of the steering box.

I hope this is helpful to others attempting this task.

Photos of the old rag joint.

Cheers

Ragjoint1.jpeg

Ragjoint2.jpeg

10 hours ago, Jred said:

Thanks for this. I also picked up a new rag joint a while back and haven’t got to replacing it yet. The job is a possible candidate for tomorrow. 

Best of luck. Hope you soaked the bolts in a little PB Blaster or WD-40. It helps. You will need a 3/8' and a 7/16" 12 point socket in case you did not know.

Hi. If the part is this https://www.nostalgicmotorcars.net/store/p71/Steering_Flange_%26_Insulator%2C_63-85___many_other_Studebakers.html#/

I dont see ground in Flange Just to make sure: Please check that you have ground contact for Horn like the old one. If not... you can use wire to make a jumper over the flange.

Edited by Leo B

3 hours ago, Leo B said:

Hi. If the part is this https://www.nostalgicmotorcars.net/store/p71/Steering_Flange_%26_Insulator%2C_63-85___many_other_Studebakers.html#/

I dont see ground in Flange Just to make sure: Please check that you have ground contact for Horn like the old one. If not... you can use wire to make a jumper over the flange.

That is correct and I believe Dan Booth recommends adding that wire. I tried the horn before adding that wire and it worked but I added it anyway.

See photo example

Ragjointground.JPG

My September/October order from Nostalgic was for a new rear frame cross member, rag joint and also  a new bell crank throttle rod.  I got all three items taken care of before putting the car in winter storage in November.