Avanti Clock

pantera928

I tried to get the old clock going. It would run for a while and quit. I think the spring in it just does not have enough strength any more because even after cleaning and reassembly, it was sporadic.

So, it did a little searching and found one that would drop right in with minor wiring adaptations. In fact the original wires are still intact not that I think I will ever find an original clock that works.

This one even  has red lighting and is very visible.

We shall see how well it works long term but for now, it looks almost like the original and I can see it at night!!

Wish my other gauges were that visible. I have tried both white and red LEDs and they still suck at night even though they look bright in the attached photos which make the clock look almost too bright which it is not.

Here is a link if interested. It is also available from several vendors on Ebay but ships from China.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y9SY1DD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Avanticlock1.jpeg

Avanticlock2.jpeg

Edited by pantera928
typos

20 minutes ago, 64studeavanti said:

How about sending the old one off for a quartz conversion?

Not sure where or how i would do that. Do you know? Is it expensive? I could put a quartz movement in it if I could find one

16 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

You could try clock works (clockwks.com) for a conversion. Otherwise, a quick search brings up several DIY kits 

Great website but I only paid about $35 for this clock and conversions cost a lot more. I will keep it on my list of parts suppliers for future reference for other cars.

Even the movement kits that I found are around $90

Thanks

1 hour ago, Kodjo said:

Would it be possible to put the old hands, dial and ring on the new clock?

I don't think that would be easy. Haven't tried. My experience with clocks is that while many seem to be identical, there are almost always slight differences.

Since both have red hands, it might be cool just to change the dial.

The ring on these old clocks is crimped on and you have to be very careful uncrimping it from the case so that you do not damage it too much. I managed to get mine apart but it took a lot of patience. They were not made to be taken apart and repaired in my opinion

22 hours ago, pantera928 said:

The ring on these old clocks is crimped on and you have to be very careful uncrimping it from the case so that you do not damage it too much. I managed to get mine apart but it took a lot of patience. They were not made to be taken apart and repaired in my opinion

I know. I took my clock and other gauges apart to clean the glass. Went well but took a lot of time. How it the ring attached to the new clock? Not crimped?

11 minutes ago, Kodjo said:

I know. I took my clock and other gauges apart to clean the glass. Went well but took a lot of time. How it the ring attached to the new clock? Not crimped?

I never looked. I will take a look tomorrow, weather permitting

• 4 weeks later...

If you ever do a full gauge swap out, I am curious about that.  I also think the illumination on my gauges suck, so I'm thinking about replacing all of them with something that looks vintage but is backlit.

On 1/5/2022 at 9:27 PM, JavierB said:

If you ever do a full gauge swap out, I am curious about that.  I also think the illumination on my gauges suck, so I'm thinking about replacing all of them with something that looks vintage but is backlit.

That it suck make them cool in my opinion. I will never change them for new ones. Just clean the glass and paint the hand. Like new!

IMG_1337.jpeg

IMG_1509.jpeg

If mine ever looked that bright, i would not change them either. Not sure how you got there but red LEDs were not the bright from Superbright and I am not running white LEDs that are barely adequate at night. And mine are not dirty