Avanti Change

Guest dapy

I'm having trouble knowing what is "trivia", and what is useful owner information. Perhaps someone should define. The people who are the most Avanti knowing, Brad and Gunny, tend to answer with useful information. Many trivia questions are unanswered, or may just be too trivial. Should Trivia be considered a game with or without winners? Anyone keeping track?

My question is...when, where and what manufacturer changed from Monte Carlo to Caprice Classic? I will also post this under the appropriate model years.

Edited by dapy

Depending on one's attitude and thirst for knowledge, the questions can be considered trivial, esoteric, confounding or useful. I find the knowledge being imparted by the many Avanti friends and the increased interest on this site as all positive. I love my 1963 R1 and having contextual historical information on my favorite marque enhances the stewardship of it. IMHO, "keeping track" is NOT what this is about for me as we all have the opportunity to join into the experience. Further, I really appreciate "mfg's" willingness to keep this going - Thank you for your continued efforts. :):):)

As for your question, I believe that Kelly contemplated the changeover to Caprice chassis for the 1989 Avanti (per John Hull), but don't know when the changeover was actually done.

Edited by AnAvantiR1for Bob

I enjoy the trivia...no one knows everything and I've found information I believed was accurate was in fact not. There's still much we don't know about Avantis...both Studebaker and Avanti II and later. The definitive history has yet to be written and new information still gets discovered.

Whether one looks at it as a game or not is immaterial to me and I don't think of it as a competition of who gets the right answer first. I look at it as sharing facts and learning more about our favorite car.

I enjoy the trivia...no one knows everything and I've found information I believed was accurate was in fact not. There's still much we don't know about Avantis...both Studebaker and Avanti II and later. The definitive history has yet to be written and new information still gets discovered.

Whether one looks at it as a game or not is immaterial to me and I don't think of it as a competition of who gets the right answer first. I look at it as sharing facts and learning more about our favorite car.

I agree totally!

The trivia helps increase everyone's knowledge of the Avanti. Keep them coming and there's no need to keep score.

OK, trivia forever as long as it does not preempt more useful Q&A (which IMO it has). Just an opinion. How about a definitive answer to my change over question? mfg?

OK, trivia forever as long as it does not preempt more useful Q&A (which IMO it has). Just an opinion. How about a definitive answer to my change over question? mfg?

I'm not sure when that change was made dapy.

I enjoy the trivia...no one knows everything and I've found information I believed was accurate was in fact not.

It might be helpful to cite the source of the "correct" answers given to the trivia questions as an added tool for doing more reading about the Avanti. Facts in isolation are fun, but in some cases I'd like to know more and therefore go to the source for a little more digging.

By definition we could call this forum discussion area "Avanti unimportant information", but I for one am finding a lot of useful information here as well... Mind you, if I do read something that seems not right I will pose a counter question and hope to get a clarification or rebuttal. If I do need more in-depth assistance with a problem there are very specific sites that I then use. Anything I learn about my car through this forum area is all good so keep the "trivia" coming.

So, does anyone know the answer to Dapy's question?

Edited by StudeNorm

Unless it's already been researched by someone, I would think it would take going through production records to find the exact point...date and VIN number...the change took place.

One item we all should keep in mind regarding Avanti "facts"...just because you read it somewhere doesn't necessarily make it a "fact". Even before the internet books and articles regarding the Avanti have been written and promulgated "facts" that were later shown to be untrue and even myths that could have been disproven with even moderate effort at fact-checking. I have a book from over thirty years ago that definitively stated Avanti II's were built in Canada. I've been guilty a few times of stating what I always considered as facts that I found out were not when someone with more accurate information corrected me or documentation was uncovered. I try and learn from those mistakes and hopefully don't make more but I likely will. We have to keep those kind of things in mind when stating things about Avantis...no one knows it all and long accepted "facts" may actually not be so as information is uncovered.

Unless it's already been researched by someone, I would think it would take going through production records to find the exact point...date and VIN number...the change took place.

One item we all should keep in mind regarding Avanti "facts"...just because you read it somewhere doesn't necessarily make it a "fact". Even before the internet books and articles regarding the Avanti have been written and promulgated "facts" that were later shown to be untrue and even myths that could have been disproven with even moderate effort at fact-checking. I have a book from over thirty years ago that definitively stated Avanti II's were built in Canada. I've been guilty a few times of stating what I always considered as facts that I found out were not when someone with more accurate information corrected me or documentation was uncovered. I try and learn from those mistakes and hopefully don't make more but I likely will. We have to keep those kind of things in mind when stating things about Avantis...no one knows it all and long accepted "facts" may actually not be so as information is uncovered.

So,.....Avanti ll's weren't made in Canada?

I would second "psdenno" and Gunny comments.

We should be told the authority behind true or "false" (which IMO is nasty). mfg may not be the 'final answer' nor should we necessarily accept his 'truth'. Knowing the source for actionable issues is good and I trust mfg will provide that. All in good fun, but some 'trivia' could be misleading.

I don't want to and am not trying to bust anyone's chops. We're a pretty casual bunch here and get along quite well. I wish I could say the same for other forums out there...even the SDC Forum has a very few knuckleheads, for want of a more descriptive and accurate term...that will go out of their way to create animosity. I don't want that happen here.

What I am interested in is to the best ability we can, share accurate information about the Avanti...its history, technical aspects, performance and enhancements as well as sources for parts, service and tips for fixing things. Suppositions are fine...I'm big on suppositions and I try to identify them as such. I was a law enforcement officer for years and I'm also big on evidence...positing scenarios and conclusions based on evidence are fine...but when the evidence changes conclusions must change. When new information is found or documentation uncovered, I've had to accept some of my long held "knowledge" was in fact not accurate. Sometimes I make dumb mistakes or I can blame it on a faulty memory...the synapses don't always fire as sharply as they used to.

I enjoy this trivia section. There's always something new to learn..whether it's important in the scheme of life is unimportant. It's a simple pleasure.

Rant over. Proceed.

Let's hear it for trivia...

But if it discourages reliable information, or unsupportable and just frivolous, I say ney.

Edited by dapy