1971 Delco Transistor Ignition

RobertSuren

I recently purchased a 71 Avanti with the Delco transistor ignition.Unfortunately it had an engine fire & a lot of the wiring is toast.Is there any place I can get a scematic for a 71 engine compartment? I've checked most of the usual suspects without any luck.Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Robert Suren

If you haven't already tried, I think the best place to ask about that would be Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors. When Avanti Motors moved from South Bend to Youngstown he purchased all the parts, materials, and most everything they didn't want to transport. Avanti Motors changed wiring on an almost yearly basis as needed and made their own wiring harnesses to match those needs. If there's a schematic that exists for a '71, Dan would likely be the one to have it.

The Delco transistor ignition was made standard in 1970 with the RQB series and was used for awhile before HEI was installed by GM on their engines. It's good but after all these years it would probably be more economical to change to a new ignition from MSD, Mallory or other supplier. That Delco is probably not supported by anyone anymore.

Sage advice from Bruce as Dan is the go-to guy for Avanti and II's. He will also take the time to discuss your questions over the phone.

I'll also post this from Bob Johnstone's Site. Root around in the diagrams as I'll bet you'll find quite a few clues to what you'll need. I doubt that Avanti changed much of the standard stuff, headlights, horns etc so those should be straight forward. http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/Diagrams/aec/aec.html

I will also suggest that you go to the library and look over the 1970 - 71 Chevrolet manuals as the HEI system is GM sourced.

Lastly, the HEI is easy to wire, just a 12V high amp connection that switches on in start and run mode and a connection to the tach. Any other wires are part of the distributor and a ported vacuum connection to the carb.

Good luck, Bob

Edited by Avanti83

Gunslinger has the right idea. Even though I am an old school guy, with a modern ignition system you will save much frustration tracking down the components. Plus you can have programable timing and if wish to use EFi later have a totally modern system with not much more money.

joe

Hi Guys,

Thanks....,good advice.....I will change to HEI......The old delcoTI is a neat conversation piece at car shows.Just spent 6 hrs on ,under & inside the Avanti.Replaced battery cables,all wiring to solinoids,checked neutral safety switch,found several burned out grounds,pulled out & checked ignition switch.Turned key & suprisingly it started,It started & ran several times,but occasionally I will turn the ignition & no power,I think something is ng in the switch so I will replace.Thanks for all your advice.

Regards

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

If you change your mind to keep the GM transistor igniton you may find the correct wiring diagram in a 1971 Corvette shop manual. If I remember, the Corvette used that ignition and I feel fairly certain Newman and Altman just bought the complete set-up for their Avanti IIs with the Corvette motors.

Those are two different ignitions...at least visually. The Delco ignition installed by Avanti Motors is a capacitive discharge ignition and is different from the K66 transistorized ignition that was optional on Corvettes...at least visually. My '70 Avanti came with the Delco CD ignition and looks much different than the K66 in my '69 Corvette. The K66 uses a heat sink type control box and a special ignition coil. The Delco CD ignition has a control box and a standard coil. Whether the distributors themselves are the same I can't say.

The only Corvettes during that time period that came standard were the high horsepower big blocks and LT-1 small blocks. It was optional on the rest and not ordered very often. The vast majority of Corvettes used the standard GM window distributor with points.

The K66 ignition was an $81 option in 1969 and not listed as optional on 1971 Corvettes, though it was part of the LT-1 package. That's pretty pricey for that time period. I'm guessing the Delco capacitive discharge ignition Avanti Motors installed may have been an aftermarket unit marketed by GM.

I remember a 1964 Pontiac my dad owned showed an electronic ignition in the options brochure, though his car had the stock system. Whether that could have been a K66 system or a capacitive discharge system I don't know. Maybe someone well versed in GM options during that time period might know.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the good advice.Well I got it running on the factory TI...& at least for the timebeing it runs great.In the future I will change to an HEI.Still have a lot of jumper wires to connect permenently,so I better get to it.

Regards,

Bob

Pt.Saint Lucie ,Fl.