Throttle Body EFI for R2?

Hi Folks,

I have a 64 R2 and I've been wondering if anyone has converted (or seen a conversion) to a throttle body EFI system instead of the sealed Carter carb?  If so, what was used and how'd it go?

Thanks,

Tim

Interesting thought,... I don't think I've ever heard that anyone's done this on a Stude avanti......Unsupercharged yes, but with the blower.... I don't know!:huh:

I tried to put an FI Tech inside an R3 airbox.  Altho Jeff Rice did show pics of this in a kind of dummy'd-up situation, I found it a bit challenging... was getting fairly expensive and taking a lot of time to sort thru what was available to make workarounds.  I gave up.  I believe Brad uses a Holley setup.

I used a Holley sniper inside a Paxton air box. Could have used the R3 box, but sold it earlier. The Holley is able to have blow through as it's map sensor allows for boost. The only change I would recommend is to use the progressive secondary linkage. Going to utilize the timing function with a aftermarket distributor on a future build. That way timing can be adjusted from the set, and changed with different boost levels. Right out of the box, it worked well. A very complete kit.

• 6 months later...

I've been successfully running an EFI conversion on my  supercharged Avanti for several years now.  Hamilton Fuel Injection  He adapts an early 90s GM throttle body EFI.  I mounted the ECM just under the dash, on the passenger side, using a bracket and cover from a late Avanti II, which used the same system.

Edited by Billy Shears