Jump to content
Rags63

R3 dual carb

Recommended Posts

I have inherited a 63 avanti r2 that my grandfather purchased new. From paper work that I have found i believe the motor is a r3 with r2 heads machine to r3 spec. 

What I am trying to figure out is what carb set up to use on the r4 intake manifold. I have 3 carbs but don't know what is what all are avanti carbs with different numbers 3507s 3725s 3810s 

Any help is much appreciated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the first 2 are from an R2 motor and the third is the front carb on an R4 motor.

pb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Rags63 said:

I have inherited a 63 avanti r2 that my grandfather purchased new. From paper work that I have found i believe the motor is a r3 with r2 heads machine to r3 spec. 

What I am trying to figure out is what carb set up to use on the r4 intake manifold. I have 3 carbs but don't know what is what all are avanti carbs with different numbers 3507s 3725s 3810s 

Any help is much appreciated

The carburetors are simple.  1964 304" R4 3810S(F), 3811S(R) CARTER AFB CK474

The heads and intake you haven't given us enough information.  It's really difficult to do  "r2 heads machine to r3 spec."  Yes, R3 valves can be installed into R2 heads.  No, R2 intake ports are not easily enlarged to match an R4 manifold.  Yes, there have been single and dual port "R4" repop manifolds made to mate with standard port heads.   Knowing exactly what you have would help those offering advice.

jack vines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the lack of info here are some pics of the motor build sheet from 1974 and the intake. The intake was purchased in 74 I hope this helps

I'm the third generation generation to own this car just trying to put the puzzle back together thanks for all info 

7930.jpeg

7931.jpeg

7933.jpeg

7934.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PackardV8 said:

The carburetors are simple.  1964 304" R4 3810S(F), 3811S(R) CARTER AFB CK474

The heads and intake you haven't given us enough information.  It's really difficult to do  "r2 heads machine to r3 spec."  Yes, R3 valves can be installed into R2 heads.  No, R2 intake ports are not easily enlarged to match an R4 manifold.  Yes, there have been single and dual port "R4" repop manifolds made to mate with standard port heads.   Knowing exactly what you have would help those offering advice.

jack 

How can I verify what head were used? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very interesting!:o (Your grandfather must have been quite a Stude enthusiast!).....It would be great if you could post any serial numbers you may find on the engine block...that would determine if the short block is an original R3. (Look for number on machined pad at top front of block.....also possible serial number near distributor hole.)

The machine work done on the heads is quite extensive...they probably 'flow' as good or better than original Studebaker Avanti R3 heads!

The cylinder head casting number,, located over the center exhaust port, would also be helpful information.

Best of luck with your VERY INTERESTING Avanti!!:D

.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, mfg said:

This is very interesting!:o (Your grandfather must have been quite a Stude enthusiast!).....It would be great if you could post any serial numbers you may find on the engine block...that would determine if the short block is an original R3. (Look for number on machined pad at top front of block.....also possible serial number near distributor hole.)

The machine work done on the heads is quite extensive...they probably 'flow' as good or better than original Studebaker Avanti R3 heads!

The cylinder head casting number,, located over the center exhaust port, would also be helpful information.

Best of luck with your VERY INTERESTING Avanti!!:D

.

 

Casting number for the heads STU-V 1555479

Number on engine block is R3S M305

Would the dual carb setup be a good fit with all the head work done 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago I spoke to Chris Banks from STU-V and if he was involved with your engine build it should be exactly as the paper work indicates. Is there any casting number on the intake manifold? Are the heads on the motor? Can you put the manifold on the engine and see if it looks like it is lining up with the head?  As for the carbs, 3810 (no choke?) goes in the front and you could put one of the other carbs in the back spot. It might be a bit rich in the fuel department, but it should run. Can you post some pix of 3810 Carb? Also on the 3725 Carb, is there a spring located on the choke valve top, passenger side? See attached picture.  

IMG_1356.JPG

Edited by Luma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The casting numbers on the intake manifold are 1555811 i think is what is says i will post a pic of it. As for the heads they are on the motor. i will try and line up the intake manifold some time this week. Now on to the carbs 3810 is semi taken apart this is how I got it with many other parts I will post pics of whats there. 3725 dose not have that spring 

7941.jpeg

7940.jpeg

7939.jpeg

7938.jpeg

7937.jpeg

7936.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first carb shown is the front carb of the R4 setup. Notice the lack of idle screws. There was no idle circuit. The rear carburetor had them. When mounted, the primaries of the rear carb was located closest to the center of the manifold. The second Carburetor pictured is an R2 carb. The blue plastic brake bleeder fitting is not stock.  It would be brass. and is the vacuum port for the distributor vacuum advance. A true R3 or R4 does not have a vacuum advance on the distributor.

Edited by brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, brad said:

The first carb shown is the front carb of the R4 setup. Notice the lack of idles screws. There was no idle circuit. The rear carburetor had them. When mounted, the primaries of the rear carb was located closest to the center of the manifold. The second Carburetor pictured is an R2 carb. The blue plastic brake bleeder fitting is not stock.  It would be brass. and is the vacuum port for the distributor vacuum advance. A true R3 or R4 does not have a vacuum advance on the distributor.

Would the vacuum advance help or hurt in this situation? Now with the bundle of parts that I inherited. is an msd ignition but I don't know if it was bought for the avanti. It could of been for aother Vehicle my grandfather had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rags63. THANKS A TON for the 3810 shots. They are awesome. If you ever want to sell it, let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rags63 said:

 

Casting number for the heads STU-V 1555479

Number on engine block is R3S M305

Would the dual carb setup be a good fit with all the head work done 

If I decode the engine number correctly, the block is R3 assembled on 12/5/63.  The head numbers seem correct for R3/R4. If it was up to me, I would attempt a full R3 restore and sell the R4 parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 64studeavanti said:

If I decode the engine number correctly, the block is R3 assembled on 12/5/63.  The head numbers seem correct for R3/R4. If it was up to me, I would attempt a full R3 restore and sell the R4 parts.

Is there any difference on the super charger from r2 to r3 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rags63, No difference on the superchargers, but high output pulleys were available as an option. Some Bonneville cars had external coolers also.

   One more favor if you can carefully take photos of 3810 underside of the base, I would greatly appreciate it. Also where are you located?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rags63...If you ultimately decide to run the engine as an unsupercharged R4, a pair of brand new 500 CFM Edelbrocks might be a good idea. (electric choke on rear)

Your other carbs, although definitely valuable, are almost 60 years old....and old carbs can sometimes be a real challenge!:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject but I thought R3 blocks would have an "A" or "B" designation?

Are there more options ?

pb

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mfg said:

Rags63...If you ultimately decide to run the engine as an unsupercharged R4, a pair of brand new 500 CFM Edelbrocks might be a good idea. (electric choke on rear)

Your other carbs, although definitely valuable, are almost 60 years old....and old carbs can sometimes be a real challenge!:o

 

3 hours ago, PackardV8 said:

Also, one could do as some others have done and build a twin supercharged R4.

jack vines

Mfg,The plan is to run it with the supercharger. With newer edelbrock would there be an issue with hood clearance?

Packardv8 ware would you fit the second supercharger? Its pretty packed in there as is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Luma said:

Rags63, No difference on the superchargers, but high output pulleys were available as an option. Some Bonneville cars had external coolers also.

   One more favor if you can carefully take photos of 3810 underside of the base, I would greatly appreciate it. Also where are you located?

I was able to get the pics you were wanting

7953.jpeg

7952.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 1963r2 said:

Excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject but I thought R3 blocks would have an "A" or "B" designation?

Are there more options ?

pb

 

Factory R3 serial numbers are in the form R3S followed by a letter for the month, followed by the number 3 (for 1963) followed by day of month.

 

There may also be a 'B' number, most say it is located back by the distributor.

This appears to be a rare factory block. That is why I stated that I would return it to R3 configuration. I wonder if it has the domed pistons and Howard's rods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...