Headlights go OUT !!

wildfelr

RQB3263...Well it happened again....coming home in the dark last night my headlights went out ....this has happened before and I thought maybe i corrected it by replacing the headlight "thermal circuit breaker" on the fuse block from a 20 amp up to a 25 amp...About 6 months ago I replaced the OEM incandescent 7" round bulbs with H-4 halogen conversion.....I fear this may be the cause of the outage as there is an increase in heat from the halogen bulbs...fortunately my aux. lights bring me home every time...and after short cool down headlights return to normal operation.....I also have plexiglass headlight covers that certainly impede airflow and bulb cooling....I AM NOW CONSIDERING CONVERTING TO LED HEADLIGHTS WITH A LOWER AMP DRAW AND LESS HEAT OUT PUT......Has anyone done this successfully....where, when and how ?? enlighten me please ....BILL RQB-3263

Bill

Thanks for running point on the headlight conversions. I found these on the internet. The supplier is fairly well known for LED bulbs but I have no experience with their headlights.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/1967-avanti-ii-high-beam-and-low-beam-headlight-bulb?make=83&model=1941&scc_id=1398&year=1967

One thought, take a look at the back of the bulb, there may be some interference issues to deal with in the bucket.

Here's a look at a ton of Ebay listings.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X6024+led+bulbs.TRS0&_nkw=6024+led+bulbs&_sacat=0

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

RQB 3263...Thanks for the info ...websites saved...Further tests this morning also show that when the breaker trips off the headlights the tail lights go out also....this is really a bad deal....especially in traffic...im going to up size the breaker at least temporarily and continue investigating LED conversions...ill take all the help i can get ....THANKS...BILL RQB3263

So, did you not follow Bob's (Avanti83) advice that you should use relays and run the H4 bulbs directly off the battery rather than plug them into the old circuits?

RQB 3263...I did not ...yet...that may be a winter project...the new CB30 worked well last night ....I have the diagram just lack initiative.....but...so come on down and help me with it !!...Adios for noW ..BILL

Bill,

You don't note what year your car is but, if an early edition (probably pre-1970 -- wiring color-code issue but I'm not sure) you can look in issue #170 on page 47 where there is an article I wrote up describing the headlight relay circuit I used; as noted in the article, it is essentially the same as on Bob Johnstone's website (but slightly different as noted in the article). I mounted the relays up under the fuse block and they are well hidden. I ran the main feed to the lights from the existing 20 amp breaker but, for high intensity lamps, you can certainly feed it from the main battery feed with a breaker or fuse in the line. As with any task under the dash of any car, the job was not hard at all but does require some dexterity. My headlights were dim and occasionally flickered; I've been real happy with the results. Good luck.

Mel

• 2 weeks later...

RQB3263....81 ...OK I GIVE UP....Im installing relays TODAY....I have them in stock....the most dangerous part is that when the headlights go out so do the tail lights .......ok something to do besides drink....coffee...<wildfelr@copper.net>....later ...RQB3263....BILL

RQB3263 / 81...OK im down to one question before i start cutting wires....where do i pick up the wires from "the existing wiring harness" as shown on diagram and i really want to keep this all under the hood...386-466-6434....thanks.... bill

RQB3263 1981 ...RELAYS INSTALLED....ABOUT 3 HRS FIRST TIME ...COULD DO IT IN AN HOUR AND A HALF NEXT TIME...i had all the parts on hand thats half the battle...relays mounted on left fender well next to brake booster..like some one wrote "not pretty but easy"....absolutely no work inside or under dash ...none, zero...all in eng bay on left fender well...some of the connectors were factory assembled with the gooiest black crap ive ever seen..daylight smoke test all good...night time test tonite...the diagrams from bob and others were a huge help ....THANKS>>>BILL>>>RQB3263

RQB3263...NIGHT TEST........PERFECT.....actually better headlights brighter, tail lights brighter, everything electrical seems to function better, ammeter barely off the peg, volt meter up at least 1 volt to around 12.5 or 6 with a/c and high beams and fog lights on 11 volts at a stop light to 12.2 v going down the road...maybe could use a smaller pulley on the alternator...but thats for another day...good night ....RQB3263....BILL