Unique Avanti ll!

mfg

Can anyone name eight mechanical items especially made up in 1965 to enable the Chevy Corvette engine to be installed in the then new Avanti ll..................?

Edited by mfg

Can anyone name eight mechanical items especially made up in 1965 to enable the Chevy Corvette engine to be installed in the then new Avanti ll..................?

Perhaps a trick question. I do not remember the 327 Chevrolet engine that was used in the 1965-1970 Avantis as being a specifically Corvette engine.

Edited by studegary

The first Avanti ll was supposedly powered by a 327 engine which was obtained from a totaled Corvette...but no, this isn't a trick question, and I believe at that time Avanti Motors indeed did refer to their engine of choice as a '327 CI Chevy Corvette engine'.

Avanti Motors always referred to it as a "Stingray" engine. I don't believe they mentioned Chevrolet or Corvette...maybe GM but not Chevy.

Well, if they used the 'STINGRAY' moniker.....I guess we all know they weren't referring to a Chevette!!!!!

For your question...I think we need clarification as to what you mean by "mechanical". Do the body fillers over the wheel arches or the extra spacers needed for leveling the stance qualify as "mechanical"? Are you discussing parts attached to the engine and drivetrain only?

Not trying to be argumentative but also don't care to waste time considering parts you're not including in the definition.

Good question!!!....Body fillers DEFINITELY NOT!............extra spacers (or shims) DEFINITELY YES!....and so, you've come up with one of the items!

(How did they get that darn engine in there and working???????)

Body spacers.

Different torque converter for the Power Shift.

Fuel lines routed to the right side due to the fuel pump location difference.

Coolant expansion tank modified.

A/C compressor mount relocated.

Different radiator shroud (can't remember which was offset...Stude or Avanti II).

Engine mount adapters required to mount the Chebbie engine in the Stude frame.

Different engine mounts.

Wiring harness modified.

I'm sure there's more but someone else can add to it.

I remember one of the early articles about N & A's venture into starting up the Avanti II's stating the initial 327 300 hp SBC engine came from a junkyard in Chicago out of a totaled 63 Corvette.

Body spacers.

Different torque converter for the Power Shift.

Fuel lines routed to the right side due to the fuel pump location difference.

Coolant expansion tank modified.

A/C compressor mount relocated.

Different radiator shroud (can't remember which was offset...Stude or Avanti II).

Engine mount adapters required to mount the Chebbie engine in the Stude frame.

Different engine mounts.

Wiring harness modified.

I'm sure there's more but someone else can add to it.

Great job!!..........There are a few other important items though,.........................Anyone else?