Bumper mounts removed?

mtgibby

The surprises with my new project just keep rolling in!

I found these funny looking fiberglass squares in a box, painted on the backside. I thought they were some sort of seat mounts, but the St Louis AOAI experts showed me where they were the side bumper mounts, and had been cut off the front and rear fenders.

DSC02111_zpspx8nnzus.jpg

The previous owner must have decided the bumpers were trashed beyond repair (they are) and decided to go the resto-mod route and smoothed out the fenders. I so wish he had not done that.

I would like to put them back in, and worry about finding front and rear bumpers later.

Do you think these spots have been weakened and would just crack if they were put back in and used to hold the bumpers? Or would good fiberglass repair be strong enough?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Not a big deal to reinstall, as long as the work is done properly. But unless you have access to another Avanti for measurements, I wait for a set of bumpers unless you can see the cut lines from behind. Don't neglect the slits in the front valence for the brackets that were also possibly filled. They have a lip for strength.

As a second thought, sanding the out side of the front fender in the bracket area may show the outline depending how the repair was done.

Edited by Avanti83

Be sure and tell your body guy the small ones are the front, and also that the thin edge is the top. They do not carry the load of the bumpers, the steel brackets inside the fender do that. Make sure you have all the brackets, or the fiberglass will not hold the bumper.

Go on line and check out the 'Bumper Boyz'...(Calif)....last time I checked with them they had plated '63-'83 Avanti bumpers in stock.

Agree, I spoke to their rep at a swap meet in late June and he said they had the center bar for $400, didn't ask about the ends nor exchange. Dan Booth does have them at Nostalgic Motors in Wixom, Mi. As of the May swap meet in South Bend, he had both used and new. Not cheap but available. Bob