Repower or sell?

Stacey

Have a 1991 Converible we bought in 2017 and have had a blast with it cruising around town. It has the 305 power and is not fast, but comfortable and looks pretty nice. So I'm at that point to pull the motor and install a LS, or a more powerful 350/400 or just sell the car off and get something else. Neighbor said it would ruin the value of the car by installing a LS, but would make it really fun and fast.  Since I own it I can do as I please and if I changed the motor and when I die my wife would just sell it anyway.  She never drives it.  Suggestions are welcome...thanks

46 minutes ago, Stacey said:

Have a 1991 Converible we bought in 2017 and have had a blast with it cruising around town. It has the 305 power and is not fast, but comfortable and looks pretty nice. So I'm at that point to pull the motor and install a LS, or a more powerful 350/400 or just sell the car off and get something else. Neighbor said it would ruin the value of the car by installing a LS, but would make it really fun and fast.  Since I own it I can do as I please and if I changed the motor and when I die my wife would just sell it anyway.  She never drives it.  Suggestions are welcome...thanks

Your ‘91 Avanti Convertible was really never meant to be a ‘fast’ car… An LS swap would,  in my opinion, increase the value of your car… but you’ll spend quite a bit doing it, and the huge increase in power may cause other issues (adequate brakes?)

If the car were mine I’d probably overhaul the good old 305, if it’s getting tired, and enjoy the car for what it is…. Good luck!  Ed

Hi - I have a 2004 Convertible with a Supercharged LS1 - I love the car with all the power. But I believe in keeping a car as original as possible. I am no longer a speed demon, like I was as a kid. My son likes to push it. I Just enjoy cruising. I like them the way they were built. I would recommend in keeping the car stock and upgrade to a newer one. If you are looking for more power. I will never sell mine. I will leave it to my Granddaughter.  But if you are looking to sell, I might be interested. I like them stock. Just my opinion. Rich 

I bought an ‘89 convertible that been resto-modded with a crate 383 producing around 400 HP, backed up with a 4L60E automatic overdrive transmission and a Ford 9” rear end with 4:82 gearing. Tires had 18” on front and 20” American Racing Wheels on the back. The rear gearing was too insane so I had a more sensible 3:55 set put in. The 383 is a drop in compared to going the LS route. I had the car for seven years and enjoyed it, deciding to reduce my Avanti inventory to. Just my ‘76.  The 383 used instead of the 305 would have made a lot of Avanti owners much happier with the power of their cars.

IMG_6567.jpeg

IMG_2077.jpeg

plwindish I agree,  your red 1988 looks great, I also changed the rear gear to help with the poor get up and go. Switched to 3:73 Posi, helped some, but still not all that much fun to run around in. Going to a 383 would be a lot less expensive and just as fun as a LS.  It would be a drop in too, with no major work to pull the 305 and drop a new one in. Don't know what I could get for it should I decided to sell, there are VERY few 1991 convertibles 7 or 8 or think. The fellow who owned it before me said it was the last one made, but i'm not so sure about that. It sure draws attention on every drive, gets thumbs up and smiles.  Thanks for telling be about yours.

avanti1.JPG

avanti2.JPG

An LS Swap might be a real headache as well as a costly way of gaining HP.  It is NOT a clean swap. I would opt for a Chev SB of a larger cubic inch since the dimensions and connections are the same. An LS is a different ballgame.

Stacey, I really like your convertible. It's a sharp looking car! I can also mentally picture it with a custom removable hard top affixed. That might be my Miata driving days coming out to say hello!

An LS-swap sounds incredible and the LS/Vortec family of engines are so common they may be had for reasonable prices. However, I completely understand the argument for gen. I and gen. II engines. If you have access to cubic dollars, World Products made an early block (Motown LS) which accepts LS cylinder heads. It also requires an LS cam because LS heads changed the valve ordering; no more 3,5 and 4,6 hot spots.

I know my uncle complains about the fuel capacity in the convertible Avantis, saying (tongue in cheek) he can drive it across town before having to fill up again. When I hear that statement an engine with cylinder deactivation could be a good candidate but there is added complexity associated. There is also switching to an engine of fewer cylinders, or engines from other makes, both of which open Pandora's box, all of which come with other chassis/wiring modifications.

I think if I had your car and was in your situation, I would remove the stock 305 and replace it with either 1980s L98 or 1990s LT1/LT4. You're in Arizona where driving enjoyment may happen year-round. A simple replacement keeps the down time minimal and the drive time maximal.