1963 Avanti Radial Tire Size Question

Oswald

I recently purchased a 1963 Avanti R1. The previous owner had put Daytona wire wheels and P215/75R15 tires on it back in 2005. The tires still look new, but obviously at 19 years old need to be replaced.

I have a question about tire size. I want to keep the Daytona wire wheels. When I look for tires for the '63 Avanti on Coker Tires, the recommended size is P205/75R15. Should I downsize to P205/75R15 or replace the current tires with P215/75R15 tires?

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Joe

P205/75R15 would be closer to the original size 670-15.  P215/70R15 would be about the same height and circumference but if your Daytona wheels are 6" wide would be fine.  

Getting down to practicality...if you're experiencing no issues with tire clearance the P215/75R15 is fine.  The slightly larger tires will cause some speedometer/odometer inaccuracy but the Avanti has never been known for being accurate in that regard.  

I’d go with P205/75R-15 …. The front suspension under your ‘63 Avanti first came out in ‘51, and was initially designed for narrower tires.

Your Avanti will steer easier with the 205’s,  and chance of tire rub against the fiberglass fenders will indeed be lessened!

Edited by mfg
Removed text

I have 215/70R15 B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A tires on my '64 Avanti and have never experienced any tire rub against the fiberglass fenders.  I do drive the car aggressively in the corners as that is what I live for.  With power steering I don't have any problem with any increase in steering effort over 205/75R15 tires.  If you have manual steering that would be a different story.  Also, how low the front of your car sits could be an issue.  If it sits low then there would be less clearance between the tire and the fender.

AFAIK B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A tires are the best handling tires available in a 15" size.

--Dwight