Experience and R2 Fuel Pump Story

Leo B

When I rebuilt the engine three years ago (circa 3000 miles), I thought of renewing the fuel pump at the same time. I bought it from Studebaker International. The previous one looked like wrong part without R2 connection.

After installing the engine, I noticed very fast an oil leak at the front of the engine. I thought the seals were leaking and/or there was too much pressure in the crankcase. I couldn't find any problem at all until I noticed that the fuel pump was spewing oil when I manually revved it up. So this was a problem from the beginning. It took a long time to find the fault - very long time.

When I opened the pump, it was full of oil and there was a big hole in the pump cover (which should be blocked in R2 this I notieced later). So... the cover hole was not blocked and the diaphragm oil seal was very thin rubber (like thin skin) - didnt work at all.There was also a tear in the diaphragm, but it was not completely broken yet.

I reported this to Studebaker International. I received no explanation for the fuel pump # 1557015 I purchased. Nothing feedback about this.(they sell only this version to R2)

I purchased a new Rebuilt Kit # 1558925 from SI which I found to be incorrect. (they sell only one rebuilt kit version)

SI now announced me that the Fuel Pump I bought is a modified Carter M6270, which the Rebuilt Kit I bought does not fit, and there is no warranty for the pump.

So... nowhere was it mentioned which fuel pump version I bought (only one offered) and that the only offered rebuilt kit does not fit it. There is no guarantee even for manufacturing (this is said). My money stayed there. No thoughts to send correct rebuilt kit free even if I pay shipping.

I have repaired the pump and the oil seal myself. I need a Rebuilt Kit for the Carter M6270 pump because the diaphragm can tear even more. I haven't found correct one yet.

Did I learn something from this? ... maybe.

Note. This is true story. You can think for yourself what went wrong.

Edited by Leo B

2 hours ago, wildfelr said:

RQB3263   .... TRY

IMG_2992.jpg

Hi, Yes. I have contacted Myers. He wrote to me: "I sell them exchange so the old pump doesn't get throwed away and when we can no longer get new ones".
He is very polite and helpful 🙂

I will buy new Fuel Pump and learn a lesson.

Edited by Leo B

Leo-

Sorry to hear about your (learning) experience.  Not sure I have the facts right (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but I believe the only new Stude V8 fuel pumps are Chinese-made Airtex brand, which are generally regarded as junk. Again, we pay the price for our obsession with seeking out the lowest possible price.

The originals are Carter brand, which were high-quality and can be rebuilt.  As a result, the Carter cores are now becoming valuable.  I believe AC Delco also made fuel pumps for Stude V8s back in the day, and they are also rebuildable.

3 hours ago, Nelson said:

So the plugged pvc wasn’t the problem after all?

Yes, that was a problem too. When I got the valve in order, running at low revs clearly improved.
The cause of the oil leak was entirely in the oil seal of the pump diaphragm, which did not work from the beginning. It released oil onto the diaphragm. The upper part of the fuel pump acted as an "oil pump" spraying the oils out. I just didn't understand how the pump works so I would have realized it right away.

Luckily, my pump had another mistake when the fuel pumps top breather hole was drilled bigger and forgot to leave it open. Now I saw how it came out of the hole. If it had been closed as it should be in the R2 version, that oil would have gone along the connecting pipes to the supercharger and through connection to the carburetor. It would be surprising when there is oil in the carburetor.
PS. If somebody R2 owner has oil in carburetor, its clear from where it comes.🤔

Edited by Leo B