1974 Quadrajet carb gasket

Looking for the O-shaped gasket that can be used between the fitting that holds the fuel filter and the carb itself. This car has the OEM 400-ci SBC with the standard Rochester Quadrajet carb. Dave Thibeault got mine rebuilt, but it came back with no gasket between the fuel filter fitting (Chevy calls it a "nut") and the carb.  The box that the fuel filter came in shows this gasket as optional, and the Chevy parts book doesn't list them.  Quadrajetparts.com carries a slightly smaller gasket for the earlier Quadrajets, but not for the 73-76 carbs.  There is ANOTHER, smaller O gasket (GM #7024281) that goes on this fitting and seals the fuel filter itself.  These are still available and are not the problem.

It's apparent that Rochester didn't think that this connection would leak -- but mine does.  Anybody else had this problem on a Quadrajet-equipped car?  I picked up a hydraulic-rated O-ring that is the right size at a NAPA store, and am wondering if this will cure the problem.  The gasket I'm looking for is number 13 in this illustration from the Chevy parts book.

20240524_161115.thumb.jpg.8d7a6efb9946c6a9bc6bffd705dd62a0.jpg

Edited by Skip Lackie

Skip…you might check with Summit Racing or maybe Edelbrock as they used to reproduce the Quadrajet though it’s been some time.  Maybe some carb rebuilder might have some un-rebuildable Q-jets sitting around for parts.  Also…check with K&K Automotive in Frederick…they’re top notch carb rebuilders and might be of help.

I’m familiar with these carbs… that’s a very special gasket and I doubt if any type of rubber o ring would work

Thanks for that link.  Am not home today so can't check the dimensions to see if it's the one I want.  The problem is that the filter fitting has TWO O-shaped gaskets on it -- both made of nylon -- but of different diameters.  The smaller one seals one end of the filter itself (which I've got), while the larger one seals the fitting to the carb.  That's the one I'm looking for.

1 minute ago, Skip Lackie said:

Yes.  But someone has to be making them.

It would be found in a quadrajet overhaul kit… but it’s tough to buy a whole kit to obtain one gasket!

4 minutes ago, mfg said:

It would be found in a quadrajet overhaul kit… but it’s tough to buy a whole kit to obtain one gasket!

Agreed.  Am not usually a cheap-ass, but am trying to NOT increase the number of carb kits that I have that are complete except for one gasket.

3 minutes ago, Skip Lackie said:

Agreed.  Am not usually a cheap-ass, but am trying to NOT increase the number of carb kits that I have that are complete except for one gasket.

I’m going to ‘the bunker’ right now to look for a p/s hose…. Let me look at my carb stash to see if I might have one.. I will post back in a couple hours.

Probably can’t help… I came up with two ‘candidates’… one has OD of 1” the other 7/8”… both too small I think?

PS…. The NAPA kit # is 2-5200A

the Hygrade kit # is 1621

Edited by mfg

On 6/10/2024 at 7:54 AM, Skip Lackie said:

MFG and romanfredi: thanks.  Will check the exact diameter tomorrow and see if they will fit.

If not, then get the carb # off the main body and give them a call, they can tell you which one does fit.

• Skip Lackie changed the title to 1974 Quadrajet carb gasket