Safety switch: Neutral or Park

Kodjo

Hi,

The Safety switch is called the Neutral Safety switch in the wire diagram. Also, in forum discussions here, this switch is referred to as Neutral Safety Switch. Strange thing, my Avanti ('69) only starts when in Park.

Did I adjust the switch wrong or is the naming in the wire diagram misleading?

Just asking because while the car does not start (in Park). I'll have to work on the switch anyway.

Thanks!

PS: In the manual this switch is called Starter cutout switch...

IMG_0379.jpeg

Edited by Kodjo

One thought:  If your engine quits while you are in motion on the highway you won't be able to re-start the engine until you stop.  For me it would be mandatory to be able to start the engine while in neutral.

--Dwight

It should start in both P and N.  I have found these switches to be prone to corrosion of the contacts.  You can carefully bend the tabs to open the switch, polish the contacts and re-assemble.  Proper adjustment can be a little fiddly since the switch adjustment must match the gates on the shifter.

On 3/9/2024 at 1:02 AM, Dwight FitzSimons said:

One thought:  If your engine quits while you are in motion on the highway you won't be able to re-start the engine until you stop.  For me it would be mandatory to be able to start the engine while in neutral.

--Dwight

That makes sense! So probably you are right Jim.

I'll try to repair the switch.