Changing out dash lights how do I do it

A83

I bought red led lights for the dash.  I would like to swap the lights out myself but not sure how. Do I go in from the back or do I have to take the gauges off from the front.  Is this a relatively easy task?

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks A83

All the bulbs go into the gauges from the back.  I replaced many of mine and some a quite a challenge, especially the ones at the top of the gauges.  I had the drivers seat out which allowed me to lay on my back the entire time.  Some will tell you its easier to remove the Tach to provide easier access to some of the bulbs.  The vacuum gauge bulb can be reached through the dash speaker/cup holder hole also.

What ronmanfredi said. I do remove one of the larger gauges to gain access sometimes but it can be done either way.

Can be done with a the seats in if your back is good.

22 hours ago, A83 said:

If I am having difficulty would it be possible to remove each gauge to access the bulb?

You need a pair of long needle nose pliers and a long thin screw driver to help you remove, place and pop the bulb holders back into the gauges.  You can remove the tach and speedo also, which will help you with the smaller gauges.  I did all of them on my back, with the front seat out but I had to disconnect and push the speedo cable out of the way also.  Be sure you disconnect the car battery while doing this also.

On 1/21/2024 at 6:51 PM, JimM said:

What type of LEDs are you using? Brand, number, etc?

I found this:
Louis Schucart - AOAI - 01 Aug 2018
Go to Super Bright LED website and order red LED replacements. The are red and bright and better visibility than incandescent bulbs.
Order Red Lights

https://www.superbrightleds.com/catalog/product/view/id/204234/+color-Amber+packamt-10-Pack

Well I got two lights in no problem but the led for the psi guard popped out into the gauge before I could I could reseat it any ideas on how to get it out?

In regard to the above it seems that this base is different from the others as the bulb won't seat right - would I need a bulb with a different base ? Or a new base ?

8 hours ago, A83 said:

In regard to the above it seems that this base is different from the others as the bulb won't seat right - would I need a bulb with a different base ? Or a new base ?

There are 2 different bulbs used in the gauges and the base size is the difference.  You'll need to get the correct bulb in order for it to stay in the holder.

I did remove the gauge and got the bulb out  

Can anyone give me the size of the two bases?  

Also if the lights all run on one circuit does it matter for example if I confuse the bulbs for the oil and fuel gauges? 

Finally got all the Led lights in the dash.  A bulb did fall in the speedometer gauge and may take it out but leaving it in for now.  The second bulb I put in it works. It shouldn't cause a problem should it? 

Lights not real bright but at least they are red.  About as bright as the 1969 Avanti I had when I was much younger.

Anyway I am happy they are red and I do appreciate all your help.

Thanks 

Regards 

A83

On 2/1/2024 at 8:14 PM, A83 said:

Finally got all the Led lights in the dash.  A bulb did fall in the speedometer gauge and may take it out but leaving it in for now.  The second bulb I put in it works. It shouldn't cause a problem should it? 

Lights not real bright but at least they are red.  About as bright as the 1969 Avanti I had when I was much younger.

Anyway I am happy they are red and I do appreciate all your help.

Thanks 

Regards 

A83

It will probably just sit in the bottom of the gauge. 

I would love to find some that are brighter. I have tried several different brands of red LEDs and none are bright enough for me.

Maybe i need cataract surgery🤣

• 2 months later...

I am finding this to be very difficult. How does one get the bulbs and the metal connectors to stay in the rubber socket? My bulbs keep falling out and into the gauges. Only worked on the temperature gauge and the one below it so far. Ve ry frustrating. 

I think the response indicating the two different bases might be correct . I did use all the same bases but do believe the two bases might work but don’t have a clue what they are - I think someone earlier in the post may have noted them