Replacement battery for the long 63 style.

Nelson

I forget the number for the original batteries but remember they where used in fork lifts. However, I’ve noticed some smaller more conventional batteries being used.  I think they were used in a Honda but not for certain. Anyone know which small one I’m considering might be? Also, any information on availability of the original style. This car isn’t a show car so paying a premium to get the long original battery isn’t in the cards. 

Group 51 battery dimensions (LWH): 9.375  x  5.06  x  8.75"  (weight: 28 lbs)

Group 3EE battery dimensions:  19.25  x  4.25  x  9"  (weight: 42 lbs)

I suspect that a modern group 51 battery would be a better choice than a 3EE considering all factors.

I will soon be doing the same battery swap on a '63 Avanti.

--Dwight

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons

Thanks. The type 51 takes 14 pounds off the crack prone battery box. That is a big plus. I will look into both. Another plus for me with the 51 is it will fit into a Lark or Hawk I would think. I bought a 63 Avanti in Phoenix area. I’m headed out there late next week and would like to get the car running and driving. I’ll check the 3ee also. Maybe I can buy one dry and leave it on the shelf for a later restored car. I know you can buy a type 24 for a Lark at Wallmart for about $60. I wonder if they sell the type 51 or even the 3ee?

I think the big advantage of the group 51 battery is you now have access to superior battery technologies like AGM or Lithium. I was always puzzled by why the 3EE battery has such mediocre performance numbers for its size.  

On 1/2/2024 at 9:23 PM, Nelson said:

Thanks. The type 51 takes 14 pounds off the crack prone battery box. That is a big plus. I will look into both. Another plus for me with the 51 is it will fit into a Lark or Hawk I would think. I bought a 63 Avanti in Phoenix area. I’m headed out there late next week and would like to get the car running and driving. I’ll check the 3ee also. Maybe I can buy one dry and leave it on the shelf for a later restored car. I know you can buy a type 24 for a Lark at Wallmart for about $60. I wonder if they sell the type 51 or even the 3ee?

That's a great price (Walmart) The group 24 I purchased at Auto Zone a few months ago was more like $150, and it wasn't even 'top of the line'!

New manufacture 3EE batteries remind me of new manufacture 6V batteries, even with care they simply don't seem to last very long.