moon roof

dazavant

Some do…some don’t.  The problem stems from the fact the moonroofs used were not designed for the Avanti…but adapted from another car…Lincoln I’ve been told.  So after a period of time with flexing, contracting and expanding the framing or the fiberglass may warp and/or the seals dry out and leaks start.  Well maintained…kept garaged…the seals kept clean and lubed…and the problem is minimized or eliminated.  

1 hour ago, dazavant said:

Do the moon roofs leak as badly as the general consensus indicates or is the problem overblown?

Many real nice Avanti ll leather interiors were ruined because of those roofs!

I'm at a few crossroads with my project, the roof being one of my dilemmas. The car was left outdoors in Ohio for two dozen years and its moon roof leaked. I'd like to keep the moon roof (or replace it with something) as I enjoy some semblance of an open top.

In no particular order of preference:

• Repair the factory moon roof
  • Delete the moon roof and close the hole
  • Replace the factory one with a no-motor version (rear vent or lift out and stow the panel)
  • Replace the inbuilt moon roof with a spoiler moon roof (those slide rearward above the roof) to gain about 1.5" more headroom
  • Rip out the moon roof and fill the hole with Plexiglass; a "panoramic roof" as they call it today.

And I'm comfortable with fiberglass so I could make alterations to fit any size demands/constraints. I could go with two no-motor moon roofs, one over the front passengers and one over the rear passengers if my heart desired.

Edited by Geoff
corrected typo

I closed the moonroof opening with fiberglass on my '83 Avanti several years ago, and it has worked out well, however, I must admit that, excepting for the leaks, I do miss having it. 

I hear that argument loud and clear. If I find myself keeping a moonroof I might investigate what it takes to increase the diameter of the drain tubes. I may also investigate routing the hoses in reasonably accessible locations so I could use a shop vac to clear them out periodically.

On 12/22/2023 at 7:28 PM, Geoff said:

I hear that argument loud and clear. If I find myself keeping a moonroof I might investigate what it takes to increase the diameter of the drain tubes. I may also investigate routing the hoses in reasonably accessible locations so I could use a shop vac to clear them out periodically.

Did U make a decision?  I'm curious.  Have U priced any of the options U listed?

Steve

8 hours ago, Steve-Avanti said:

Did U make a decision?  I'm curious.  Have U priced any of the options U listed?

Steve

I have not yet made a solid decision but am leaning toward a spoiler moonroof.

As far as pricing my project, a majority of the work I strive to achieve DIY status where I can. And for parts I am looking to insurance write-off sites, so a totaled car's moonroof may be what I install in my car.