New Magnum 500 wheels rubbing upper steering arm

Kellerbear

I just had new Magnum 500s (Vintique) on my '78, plus new Goodrich white raised letter radials. They look great, but now when turning the steering wheel far to right (less to the left), the inside wheel scrapes the upper steering arm (pretty sure that's what it's called). The old wire wheels (TrueSpoke) rubbed, also, but less pronounced. I did the Turner brake conversion a while back, and replaced both hogtroughs. The tire store that sourced and installed wheels and tires said it wouldn't hurt anything, just avoid sharp turns. Does that sound right? Suggestions?

Tim

What width Magnum 500's did you get? If the width is ok (15"x6" is correct), then the offset might be wrong. On my '70 which has original Magnum 500s, there's about a 3/8" difference in offset on two of the four. It went unknown until I installed the Turner kit then two started scraping the calipers. I keep those two on the back where they cause no problem.

It looks like you need some spacers between the front rims and the hub. Get steel spacers rather than aluminum if you can...they're less likely to crack when torqued down.

RQB3263...I have the same problem on my 81....with Mustang wheels even with the 1 1/4 inch spacers...another 1/8 inch would have ended the problem ...I live with it and dont turn toooo hard...a 1/4 inch spacer should fix yours permanently...RQB3263....BILL

Take a few washers and determine the minimum thickness needed to eliminate the interference. You can buy spacers from 1/8" and up. It took 1/8" to space the 2000 Mustang Bullitt wheels on the front my 74. The rear was fine. Be sure to pay attention to your stud length. Usually more than 1/4" will require longer studs unless you go to the thicker ones like Bill did that, I'll assume, mounted using the original studs but had a second set of studs for mounting the wheels.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83