Removing Starter 1963 Avanti

Fourward

If you have stock exhaust (notR3), then you can extract the starter without removing anything else. Slide it rearwards until the nose clears the opening, then tilt it down and the far end up.

Edited by brad

Thanks again, Brad. I will give it a go tomorrow. It does have power steering, which seems to be in the way, along with the exhaust pipe. FWIW, very original car, the wire from the solenoid to the starter has a rubber sheath over it, and, is secured by a clip integral to the frame.

Uggghhh....I can't seem to get it out. Can you explain exactly how? Tilt it upward then come out the front? Or something. It's lying on top of the exhaust pipe which I'm about to sawzall. (I am on my back on a gravel driveway.)

I had the same problem when I had to have my starter rebuilt. I had to drop the exhaust pipe from the manifold to have enough room to drop the starter. If I recall correctly original Studebaker exhaust pipes had a flat spot near the starter which allowed just enough room to slide the starter by it.

Yes, the only problem with dropping the exhaust pipe from the manifold is that someone cranked a bolt in there on one side instead of a stud with a nut. I got the one nut off easy enough, the bolt is imbedded in there, with a head that is starting to round.

One other idea, I was just trying again. There is a metal bar with a 1 1/4 nut attached to  the steering. It looks like that bar moves forward or backward by turning the wheels. I think I will have enough room if I turn that bar out of the way. Should I move it forward or backward, ...Brad? I can see it move on my other Avanti, the one I am trying to install an engine. The one with the starter is on a ramp so turning the wheel is a slightly bigger deal than just turning it.