Granatelli R4!

mfg

Let's see!... Joe Granatelli's Cad/Avanti WAS NOT originally equiped with an R1....or an R2....or even an R3.......

So, Joe's car must have originally been equiped with an R4 Avanti engine.....True?

Edited by mfg
added text

19 minutes ago, lschuc said:

False.    Members can read the article in Issue 201 and see how the Avanti was equipped from the factory.  Very unusual.

False is CORRECT! 😁

I'm spitballing here, but did it have a straight 6? I have wondered if a 6 or 12 would fit in Avanti's engine bay. Maybe pay homage to Studebaker dealerships bringing over Daimler cars, use a 12 from the SL 600.

On the Benz platform, somebody could build an "LSSL 600" by using an LS2, or an "LSSL 500" by de-stroking or sleeving an LS to 5L, but I digress and yield.

1 hour ago, GeoffC312 said:

I'm spitballing here, but did it have a straight 6? I have wondered if a 6 or 12 would fit in Avanti's engine bay. Maybe pay homage to Studebaker dealerships bringing over Daimler cars, use a 12 from the SL 600.

On the Benz platform, somebody could build an "LSSL 600" by using an LS2, or an "LSSL 500" by de-stroking or sleeving an LS to 5L, but I digress and yield.

Nope, actually I doubt an Avanti's hood could be shut over a 'SKYBOLT SIX'!! 🤔

Edited by mfg
Spelling

19 minutes ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

I'm going to guess that that particular Avanti was factory equipped with an R0 engine; in other words, with no engine.

--Dwight

You are 'spot on' Dwight!........

Joe Granatelli's '64 Studebaker Avanti was ordered and delivered to him sans engine & transmission! 😁

Now, for everyone hasn't read pick up your magazine and read John Hull's excellent feature on this unique, one and only Avanti (or re-read if you did read it).  Here's the first two pages.

Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 10.42.09 AM.jpg