4 Speed clutch linkage

ron@crall.com

Does anyone know where the parts used for the clutch linkage for the factory 4 speeds came from. My Z bar bearing is shot. Part looks like some I have seen for Camaro or Nova but that is a little too vague for a parts counter guy.

Also the car was received disassembled and I am not sure if I have all of the parts to reassemble, much less knowing how. Was there a shop/parts manual for the Avanti II, I only have them for the Studebaker and none of those parts were used.

As you probably already know, All of the 'upper' linkage on Stude Avantis and four speed Avanti ll's was taken from the '61-'66 Lark models....This is interesting on your '71 ll, as all this 'upper' (or inside the car's body clutch linkage down to the frame bracket) should be the same as the Studes,...but the linkage attaching to the Chevrolet release arm must be different.

A '65 or '66 'Chevybaker' with V8 engine (or possibly even 6 cylinder engine) and three speed manual transmission would probably have the exact same clutch release linkage as in your four speed '71 Avanti.

A Stude Forum want ad may help you locate any missing small parts....there are quite a few Canadian Studebaker parts cars laying around....and many of them came with standard shift....Good luck!

I sold my entire 1974 setup to another owner when I converted to a T56 with hydraulic clutch. These are a couple of the pictures of the parts if it helps any.

100_1328_zpsej2eul6b.jpg

100_1333_zpswbuwc5mi.jpg

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

Ed,

Thanks for the Canadian tip, I'll be in St. Louis next week and perhaps I'll get some more information there, in the meantime I'll use Bob's picture to look through the parts I got and try to match them up.

Thanks Bob, the picture might help a lot.

The part under the throwout fork mounts to the frame on one side. Do you recall where the other side (engine side) mounted?

On the top picture upper left just under the shifter is the engine side bracket for the bar. The bracket mounts IIRC on two engine to trans bolts and a bolt on the engine block around the oil filter. The ball mounts to the bracket about middle. you can see the hole for the ball mount just right of the shifter lever bottom arms. Bob

Edited by Avanti83

If you are going to St. Louis, look me up. I have an Avanti II clutch linkage setup. I will be vending there, also, my shop is just down the street from the meet headquarters.