1980 Avanti Magnum 500

pantera928

I have a set of 14x6" Magnum 500 wheel with a 3.5" offset. I am thinking of replacing the wire wheels on my 1980 Avanti but there seems to be a slight scraping with the Turner brake caliper. Has anyone tried this and/or used a spacer to eliminate this? 

THanks

My guess is the problem is the 14" wheel but if you have an early Turner conversion, the brake caliper had a nub that could be ground off if that's what's rubbing.

It's pretty easy to start to add washers behind the wheel to see what size spacer is needed but you'll probably need longer studs and also look for tire to body/suspension interference.

The difference is offset and different runs of he Magnum 500 wheels by the manufacturer.  I put the Turner kit on the '70 I owned and two of the Magnum 500 wheels would contact the caliper and two wouldn't.  The difference was a very slight difference in offset between the two pairs.  I could only assume they came from two different production runs.  Avanti Motors didn't care or bother to check wheels as they were purchased as they only specified 15"x6" standard offset wheels and they easily cleared the original calipers so there was no need to check.  I'm sure it was simply an assumption that they were all the same.