Part Idebtification help

Zedman

The part pictured is an 1/8" steel plate removed from somewhere on the Frame of my Avanti II.   I say 'somewhere', because this is what happens when two persons work on the same project.  Usual methodical cataloguing and photographic recording missed this culprit.   🤨 I thought it was a 'Shim' or 'Doubler' for the engine mounts, because it is similar looking and it came off the frame at the time the mounts were removed.  I'm hoping that somebody can tell me where this part lives and/or what it's for. 

It was a bit out of shape so I flattened it out before cleaning and painting it-  there was some original black paint on it which made me think it was located inside the front crossmember out of the way of salt.

As a footnote- the rusty Frame has been reduced to one part. We now have to cut all the various mountings and 'X' member out so they can be relocated on a donor SWB Lark frame. Needless to say we are going carefully on this procedure, with accuracy and weld quality being paramount.

Regards, Steve

Removed in late April-Early May 2022- WHAT IS IT.jpg

Edited by Zedman

Just a guess on my part but I think it's a corner stiffener for the frame.  In the mid-'70s Avanti Motors ran out of original Avanti frames and started using somewhat lighter gauge frames from standard Larks and added the X-member and stiffeners to bring them up to original specs.  

On 5/12/2022 at 10:44 PM, Gunslinger said:

Just a guess on my part but I think it's a corner stiffener for the frame.  In the mid-'70s Avanti Motors ran out of original Avanti frames and started using somewhat lighter gauge frames from standard Larks and added the X-member and stiffeners to bring them up to original specs.  

Thanks Gunslinger... still hoping I can match the pitch of the bolts to something, unless somebody chirps-in.  I should mention the frame I am using as a donor is an 'Export' chassis from a V8 2 door car used by the Victoran police dept. The frame rails, as per the 59 to 64 shop manual, are listed having thicker (11ga.) material, so I think I have an advantage on that score. They also have holes and reinforcement for the steering boxes on both sides, so no extra work required there.

From memory it goes on the inside of the chassis rail towards the rear.

Look for a spot on the chassis that has two holes that match the two on the bracket.

In the meantime I will have a look at my chassis next time I'm at work for the exact location.

pb

Zedman,

I was just doing some service work today on my "72 Avanti and I noticed a similar plate inside the right inner fender. The charcoal canister mounts to the other side under the hood. Could this be what you're looking for?

IMG_2113.jpg

On 5/15/2022 at 10:39 AM, AD said:

Zedman,

I was just doing some service work today on my "72 Avanti and I noticed a similar plate inside the right inner fender. The charcoal canister mounts to the other side under the hood. Could this be what you're looking for?

IMG_2113.jpg

Thanks AD, for taking the time to check. Nope not in there, either.

On 5/14/2022 at 9:37 PM, 1963r2 said:

From memory it goes on the inside of the chassis rail towards the rear.

Look for a spot on the chassis that has two holes that match the two on the bracket.

In the meantime I will have a look at my chassis next time I'm at work for the exact location.

pb

Hi Peter- Thanks mate I will check next time I am in front of the project (it's 60 miles away!). By all means if you can identify it further, please do let me know. regards, Steve

Steve,

I did reply but it seems to have disappeared.

I don't have that bracket on my Chassis but there is two holes on the inner rear chassis ( drivers side) near the rear cross member where I think that bracket would fit.

I suspect it may be the bracket that holds one side of the fuel tank on the Lark. Maybe it was left on the A11 chassis or it is off the replacement chassis.

Have a look in that area.

Peter

15 hours ago, 1963r2 said:

Steve,

I did reply but it seems to have disappeared.

I don't have that bracket on my Chassis but there is two holes on the inner rear chassis ( drivers side) near the rear cross member where I think that bracket would fit.

I suspect it may be the bracket that holds one side of the fuel tank on the Lark. Maybe it was left on the A11 chassis or it is off the replacement chassis.

Have a look in that area.

Peter

Hi Peter- thanks for your feedback- The culprit was removed from the 'Donor' SWB chassis. My mate says it needed to come off for the sake of authenticity, but I will check on it .