Jump to content

RQ Number on RH inner fender above windshield wiper bag?


Dunkin
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dunkin said:

What is that number for, I understand that the VIN number is on the frame under the blower motor, is that correct? Thanks

The RQ number indicates the number of the body, for parts ordering purposes.   The VIN or serial number is indeed on the forward section of the right frame rail, under the heater blower motor.

PS...we will no doubt hear that Studebaker never used VIN numbers (actually, they did in '65-'66)....Anyway, Studebaker called the number on your Avanti's frame rail a SERIAL number.............This is all just semantics, as that serial number indeed identifies your car.:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, regnalbob said:

 

The serial number was used for parts ordering, not the body number.

Wrong again Bob!...Newman & Altman frequently requested Avanti body numbers back when they were the parts source...even more so on the transition models!:D

Regnalbob has to learn that you "NEVER SAY NEVER" when it comes to Avantis!;)

Edited by mfg
Added "NEVER SAY NEVER"
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, mfg said:

Wrong again Bob!...Newman & Altman frequently requested Avanti body numbers back when they were the parts source...even more so on the transition models!:D

Regnalbob has to learn that you "NEVER SAY NEVER" when it comes to Avantis!;)

I doubt Newman & Altman requested body numbers.

Studebaker used serial numbers and not body numbers in the parts catalog and Newman & Altman probably did the same.

Do you have any facts to support your claim?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Body numbers were applied to Stude vehicles to keep track of running changes that might affect replacement parts identification.  Bodies for most models were welded up(well, Avantis were not welded up!) in groups and set aside for use when needed.  Since they were not pulled in sequential order, a later body with a new feature might be used before an earlier one with a different feature.  The body number really did make a difference for 1949-53 2R-series trucks.  Because of that long production run, there were a number of running changes made to body characteristics that could affect replacement parts.  Studebaker Avantis were not in production long enough to have many running changes.  Headlight shape is the only one that I can think of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Skip Lackie said:

Body numbers were applied to Stude vehicles to keep track of running changes that might affect replacement parts identification.  Bodies for most models were welded up(well, Avantis were not welded up!) in groups and set aside for use when needed.  Since they were not pulled in sequential order, a later body with a new feature might be used before an earlier one with a different feature.  The body number really did make a difference for 1949-53 2R-series trucks.  Because of that long production run, there were a number of running changes made to body characteristics that could affect replacement parts.  Studebaker Avantis were not in production long enough to have many running changes.  Headlight shape is the only one that I can think of.

Thanks for your input here Skip!:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, regnalbob said:

I doubt Newman & Altman requested body numbers.

Studebaker used serial numbers and not body numbers in the parts catalog and Newman & Altman probably did the same.

Do you have any facts to support your claim?

Regnalbob.....please read Skip Lackie's response to this trivia question....It may help you in understanding the importance of Studebaker/Avanti Body Tag Numbers....far beyond simply indicating if a body was assembled in Ashtabula or South Bend!:o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, mox said:

The battery box was changed to accommodate a regular size battery and the cowl had the additional opening added for interior cooling.

Thanks for that info!:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Dunkin, the additional cowl grille was added to Studebaker production at serial 4892 along with a host of other changes associated with the 64s. I believe the openings in the front fenders for the turn signals was different as well, larger I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, mfg said:

The RQ number indicates the number of the body, for parts ordering purposes.  

3 hours ago, mfg said:

Regnalbob.....please read Skip Lackie's response to this trivia question....It may help you in understanding the importance of Studebaker/Avanti Body Tag Numbers....far beyond simply indicating if a body was assembled in Ashtabula or South Bend!:o

 

The body number was not needed to order parts.

Parts were ordered by serial number when required.

The Avanti Parts Catalog listed parts by before and after serial numbers, not body numbers.

Avanti running changes were listed by serial number, not body numbers.

The body tag number was important to Studebaker if they had any problems with the Ashtabula or South Bend body.

 

 

 

Edited by regnalbob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, regnalbob said:

The body number was not needed to order parts.

Ha!...... Old feisty Regnalbob......once again "Swinging After The Bell"!!..........HAPPY NEW YEAR  Bob!:D

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...