rebuild calipers??

MARK

Members, who is suggested to rebuild the calipers on my 64 R2?  One caliper just started leaking and it is time to have both sides rebuilt. Please advise who is satisfied with whomever did work for them.

thanks in advance

Mark

• 3 months later...

Mark, 

I have used White Post Restorations for the Dunlop calipers on my 77 Avanti II and for the same calipers on my 68 Excalibur SS, both with new owners these days.   The work was excellent.  They returned my exact parts looking like new. 

They install brass sleeves and new pistons, seals, etc.   Suggest you get the new crossover tubes (two different tubes) for the job as well.  The old ones are easily bent on removal and the new nuts on the new ones help preserve the threads in the castings. 

Ned

• 7 months later...
30 minutes ago, JimM said:

Are those better than new ones from Studebaker International?

New cylinders are cast iron like the originals and will eventually rust like the originals, IF neglected.  The stainless steel or brass-sleeved cylinders won't ever rust.  Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water from the atmosphere) and should be flushed periodically to remove the contaminated fluid.  Even with the SS or brass sleeved cylinders the fluid should still be flushed periodically, partly because the pistons are iron, and will rust.  My Avanti has SS sleeved cylinders from Dave Thibeault and they have given me no trouble.

An oddity: The partsgeek calls them "pistons."  Actually, the piston is what is inside the cylinder.

--Dwight