1983 Avanti RQB 3637

steve remick

What is this Avanti worth? Once owned by John Seaton. It is ALL original, paint, interior, 305 motor. It has 39,000 actual miles.

Condition #2

It can be seen on Bob Johnston's resources.

It has AT, AC, PS, PB, PW, PDL, Power moon roof, built in CB radio, Power antenna, push button trunk release and CC

I could send photos of the Interior, engine, outside, all four sides. Just give me a e-mail address.

Thanks

Steve

Avanti II's don't carry that much value in the market. Given everything being equal, which it rarely is...a Studebaker Avanti carries more market value.

My '70 Avanti was ordered by John Seaton as well. After some investigation I found that John Seaton was an authorized owner/dealer (or whatever Nate Altman called it) for Avanti Motors. He ordered/owned/sold something like 50-75 Avantis over time, so determining which was a personal car or simply ordered by him for a retail customer is iffy at best. I would think that carries little if any value for the car. It is a neat bit of trivia for the car though.

Value is arguable at best. Some...I'm one of them...believe the power moon roof is a detriment due to problems of water leakage and whether they even still work. Some would value a properly working power moon roof. It all depends on the buyer.

Some of those options, while adding value in 1983, are so commonplace today they're simply expected on cars. I think CB radios today are more an oddity than anything else...kinda like seeing an FM converter in an older car.

To give you an idea on value...after spending several years and lots of money rebuilding my '70 which has been awarded numerous trophies and first place awards at two International SDC and AOAI meets...the collectors insurance company values the car at $27k. That's less than I have invested but still it's cold water in the face.

The free market is very fickle and Avantis have never had much market value outside of our little Avanti community. They have everything going for them...design exclusivity, design pedigree, performance, low production numbers...but the market doesn't care. It is what it is.

Just my opinion. I love the Avanti, but you don't own one for an investment...you own it because you love the car.

Avanti II's don't carry that much value in the market. Given everything being equal, which it rarely is...a Studebaker Avanti carries more market value.

My '70 Avanti was ordered by John Seaton as well. After some investigation I found that John Seaton was an authorized owner/dealer (or whatever Nate Altman called it) for Avanti Motors. He ordered/owned/sold something like 50-75 Avantis over time, so determining which was a personal car or simply ordered by him for a retail customer is iffy at best. I would think that carries little if any value for the car. It is a neat bit of trivia for the car though.

Value is arguable at best. Some...I'm one of them...believe the power moon roof is a detriment due to problems of water leakage and whether they even still work. Some would value a properly working power moon roof. It all depends on the buyer.

Some of those options, while adding value in 1983, are so commonplace today they're simply expected on cars. I think CB radios today are more an oddity than anything else...kinda like seeing an FM converter in an older car.

To give you an idea on value...after spending several years and lots of money rebuilding my '70 which has been awarded numerous trophies and first place awards at two International SDC and AOAI meets...the collectors insurance company values the car at $27k. That's less than I have invested but still it's cold water in the face.

The free market is very fickle and Avantis have never had much market value outside of our little Avanti community. They have everything going for them...design exclusivity, design pedigree, performance, low production numbers...but the market doesn't care. It is what it is.

Just my opinion. I love the Avanti, but you don't own one for an investment...you own it because you love the car.

Thanks Gunslinger, very interesting about John S. I was looking at $17,000. I plan on driving it to St Louis in August. Maybe I'll get a taker

Steve, I think that's about all the money for an 83 for the reasons Gunslinger noted. I gave less that 1/2 that amount for my 83 in 2011. However, mine had 93K miles, a tired engine and a repaint. The bumpers were new and the interior is the upgraded Leather option on the plus side.

IMHO, the 83 is very high on the quality and fit scale and I would use that as a selling point, my 74 is a kit car by comparison to the 83. The frame and Hog Trough condition will also be high on the list of questions by a knowledgeable buyer.

If you don't have any luck at the meet, give Ebay a chance. In fact, I'd try Ebay ASAP as you never know what it could bring from an excited buyer. Just have a reserve that you can live with and post a ton of large, high quality pictures including the underside.

Sounds like a very nice car and I hope you get your price or more. Bob

Edited by Avanti83

Steve, I think that's about all the money for an 83 for the reasons Gunslinger noted. I gave less that 1/2 that amount for my 83 in 2011. However, mine had 93K miles, a tired engine and a repaint. The bumpers were new and the interior is the upgraded Leather option on the plus side.

IMHO, the 83 is very high on the quality and fit scale and I would use that as a selling point, my 74 is a kit car by comparison to the 83. The frame and Hog Trough condition will also be high on the list of questions by a knowledgeable buyer.

If you don't have any luck at the meet, give Ebay a chance. In fact, I'd try Ebay ASAP as you never know what it could bring from an excited buyer. Just have a reserve that you can live with and post a ton of large, high quality pictures including the underside.

Sounds like a very nice car and I hope you get your price or more. Bob[/quote

Thanks Bob for your input. Yes this car is in showroom condition. It still has the original spare. The moon roof works great and no leaks.

It definitely is on the high scale as far as 83 Avanti goes.

Thanks again Bob

I agree...try eBay. You may find a buyer quicker that way...maybe someone who wants to drive it to St. Louis themselves! At St. Louis there will likely be several Avantis for sale, which may make for downward pressure on the asking price if you want to move it.

I agree...try eBay. You may find a buyer quicker that way...maybe someone who wants to drive it to St. Louis themselves! At St. Louis there will likely be several Avantis for sale, which may make for downward pressure on the asking price if you want to move it.

Good point Gunslinger. So, do you agree that $17,000 is a fair price. I should have a reserve on e-bay.

Yes...I would put a reserve on it...whatever figure is your absolute bottom dollar you'll accept for the car. I'd start the auction with a reserve and a low starting bid. I believe too many people set the starting bid too high and it can keep people from bidding.

Once an auction starts, you can always lower the reserve if you feel it necessary.

Yes...I would put a reserve on it...whatever figure is your absolute bottom dollar you'll accept for the car. I'd start the auction with a reserve and a low starting bid. I believe too many people set the starting bid too high and it can keep people from bidding.

Once an auction starts, you can always lower the reserve if you feel it necessary.

Thanks Gunslinger, I was thinking of putting it in "Classic Cars ". That's where I sold my 63 from. I sure would like to meet you. Why don't you come to the Zone Meet in MN. LOL

• 1 month later...

I own it along with two other Stude's. The problem is, I have moved (townhouse) and I have a two car garage and five cars. I keep two Stude's in the garage and the brand X's on the driveway. No room for the Stude #3

• 5 weeks later...

Steve any luck yet on selling the 83? A lot of us share you problem of not enough garage for all your cars. During the summer, I have my two Avantis in my two car garage. When the cold weather hits, the Avantis go to my daughter and son-in-law's to be parked and covered in their combination garage/storage shed until Spring when they'll come out again.

Another source for determining value is Hagerty's website. Good luck.

• 1 month later...