Replacement seats

64studeavanti

What year, make and model seats is anyone using to replace the stock Avanti seats? I just discovered that the "show car ready" seat covers I purchased years ago do not have the proper "pockets" and I am not sure I want to spend the money (I need new foam etc) to have less than a perfect set of seats! So, I am hoping to get recommendations and store both sets of seats I currently have.

Thanks,

I have a set of leather seats from a 2007 Pontiac G6 that will go in my 74. I will need to adapt the mounts in the car but it's not that bad. If you want a back seat then it will ad a degree of difficulty. I have the back seat from the G6 but haven't tried it yet. I think it will be difficult to find a back seat that will replace the Avanti's due to the curves et al.

I just took my tape measure to the local wrecking yard and looked for what looked good and then measured them. That's how I found the G6 ones.

I'd suspect that there are any number of front seats from mid/full size cars that will work. The most important measurement is the height of the lower cushion. Don't worry about the installed height in the donor car but the final height with the seats mounts modified to fit the Avanti.

BE sure to get the wiring harness and switches to install in the Avanti. I always like to buy the seats with all the controls on the seat. That usually makes the hookup much easier.

Lastly, a lot of newer cars destructively lock the seat belts when the air bags inflate so be careful about buying seats with the belts installed on them. The wrecking yards around here will not sell a belt that's seperate from the seat. Libality they claim whether it works or not.

Bob

My '70 came with the stock "Command Center" seats...they sucked to put it mildly...uncomfortable, little support and short seat base. I found at the York swap meet a set of Recaro seats from a later Avanti being parted out. They needed reupholstering which wasn't a big deal...they needed that anyway to match the interior of my car. They are the most supportive and comfortable seats I've experienced. I did have to purchase a set of sliders and bases for them to fit...Wedge Engineering in California has them in their data base and can make a set when ordered...the sliders are more or less universal for Recaros from that era.

If you want to try a different way for seats, try Procar and their seats. They have numerous models available and are available through Summit Racing and similar vendors. They can also provide seat bases for the Avanti. Their bases may come from Wedge Engineering as well for all I know. If you need them in something other than black or other color or fabric they have available, simply purchase the least expensive seat in the line you like and have them reupholstered to match your car.