Jump to content

jacks


arkus
 Share

Recommended Posts

are the jacks that came with the ll's the same jacks that came with the original avantis? all years? different colors? thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They're the original style scissors jack but most appear to be a different color and maybe even slightly thinner gauge steel. Avanti Motors probably changed vendors sometime during their production run.

My '70 didn't have a jack with it when I purchased it, and since I'm not a purist I bought a Mr. Goodwrench scissors jack at Walmart for something like $15.00 to keep in the trunk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My '79 came without a jack. Scissor type from Harbor Freight for $20.

I did have to make the handle longer but no big deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

They're not. I have an original one for my '63. It's a replacement -- the original rusted into solidity before I bought the car, thanks to the dried out, leaky rear window seal, that let water drip down into the trunk, and the rear seat both (rusted out the springs on the rear seat, in addition to the jack and tire iron). My Avanti II, which I sold, had a different jack -- a scissor jack also, but wider. I asked Dan Booth about that -- according to him, one of Nathan Altman's partners was a lawyer, and was worried about the original, narrow jack Studebaker supplied tipping over and potentially injuring an owner, so he convinced Altman to switch to a wider one that would be more stable and thus safer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...

Was the early narrow jack a Studebaker design or was it a common jack that other car manufacturers also used.  If so, does anybody know the other car make, model and years that are the same.  It would make my search for one a lot easier and probably cheaper.  I'm a purest and would like a jack that is as close to a 1969 original as possible.

Edited by TED DIMON
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

You can check with Nostalgic Motors...they have original Avanti II jacks and often have one on eBay...not cheap, though.

I have seen the $250 ones on EBay.  That's why I ask if there is a generic duplicate out there.  I don't imagine that the Altmans manufactured their own.  I am sure that they purchased what was available on the market at the time and may still be on the market today.  Does anyone know of such a duplicate?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe that I have a similar scissor jack.  It would cost more to ship it across the country than it is worth.  I think that it came out of one of the Avantis that I owned, but I doubt that it is original equipment.  You should be able to locate something similar locally.  Try local wrecking yards, dismantlers, junk yards, used parts places, flea markets.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, TED DIMON said:

Was the early narrow jack a Studebaker design or was it a common jack that other car manufacturers also used.  If so, does anybody know the other car make, model and years that are the same.  It would make my search for one a lot easier and probably cheaper.  I'm a purest and would like a jack that is as close to a 1969 original as possible.

While I understand an interest in originality, the jack is well hidden and probably would never see the light of day.  I recall that the original jack in my '63 Avanti was a skinny, rather flimsy (if not dangerous) type.  Back when this car was my daily driver, I swapped the jack out for a broader based, 2-speed model. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, studegary said:

I believe that I have a similar scissor jack.  It would cost more to ship it across the country than it is worth.  I think that it came out of one of the Avantis that I owned, but I doubt that it is original equipment.  You should be able to locate something similar locally.  Try local wrecking yards, dismantlers, junk yards, used parts places, flea markets.  

Good advice!   I enjoy this type of scavenger hunt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jim78 said:

While I understand an interest in originality, the jack is well hidden and probably would never see the light of day.  I recall that the original jack in my '63 Avanti was a skinny, rather flimsy (if not dangerous) type.  Back when this car was my daily driver, I swapped the jack out for a broader based, 2-speed model. 

I seriously doubt that I will ever use the jack.  However, I like the idea of having something "original" in the trunk.  I suspect that the skinny version will fit a lot better in its indentation that is in the trunk floor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep in mind that, while both Studebaker and Avanti Motors provided a scissors jack in the trunk that fit the depression in the floor, they each used the same brand..."Low Bid".  I understand the desire for originality, but for most purposes, a $15 Mr. Goodwrench jack I purchased at Walmart services every bit as well as a $200 original jack of unknown condition and safety.  An Avanti II does not carry that much real world market value so I would much rather put the monetary difference elsewhere in the car that matters more.

Besides the aftermarket scissors jack, I also have a temporary use donut spare tire.  I doubt if it will ever be necessary but it will work if called upon, plus it leaves space in the underfloor well for storing other items and the tire cover fits flush...you can't say that with many full-size spare tires or wider than the original 5 1/2" wide rim.  Even some 670-15 tires don't properly fit.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...